Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I've began to wonder if maybe my application will be banned...

here's a few things that I worry about...

- I have most of my controls in a toolbar. These include a systemEdit and systemAdd button.

- The add button presents a UIAlertView with a UITextField in it. There is no other program that I've seen that does this. (I've seen apps with UIAlertViews with UITextFields, but never with the systemAdd button being the one that presents it.)

- I have a detail disclosure button which similarly presents a UIAlertView with a UITextField.

- I don't follow MVC very well.

- I don't use comments very often.

Are these valid issues that need to be fixed to have my application accepted or am I worrying about nothing? I consider the expedient launch of my application important as I anticipate a huge boom in the number of potential customers. I don't want to submit it three weeks prior to the date only to get a rejection notice a week before the date and end up missing it.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I anticipate a surge in sales of school related apps the week of January 3rd.

Students will have gotten their iPhones / iPod Touches on Christmas and begin looking for ways to integrate them into their school life that week. I'd therefor like to have my app on the app store by then (I first started tinkering with the idea for an app back in September, got serious about learning how to program in October / November, and wrote the first line of code in mid November once I felt I knew enough about UIKit to make the app.)

My target date for submitting to Apple is December 14th, and thus far I've reached all the in between benchmark dates. But I've begun to fear that maybe my application will be rejected on any of the reasons I've listed in my OP. Are they valid concerns and issues that I should look into changing or am I safe?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
- I have most of my controls in a toolbar. These include a systemEdit and systemAdd button.
Shouldn't be an issue. The API specifically allows for UIBarButtonSystemItemEdit and UIBarButtonSystemItemAdd.

ArtOfWarfare said:
- The add button presents a UIAlertView with a UITextField in it. There is no other program that I've seen that does this. (I've seen apps with UIAlertViews with UITextFields, but never with the systemAdd button being the one that presents it.)
Could be an issue depending on how this falls within the HIG and how Apple decides to interpret it.

ArtOfWarfare said:
- I have a detail disclosure button which similarly presents a UIAlertView with a UITextField.
Same as above.

ArtOfWarfare said:
- I don't follow MVC very well.
Doubtful this will be much of an issue. The review team does not really review the architecture of your app.

ArtOfWarfare said:
- I don't use comments very often.
Doesn't matter. Apple doesn't have your source code.

The reviewer(s) will be more concerned with the "flow" and "feel" of the app than the specific details of execution (unless you are using unpublished APIs). If your popups make sense in the context of the app, you'll probably be okay. If they seem out of place and don't fit with the iPhone UX, they may draw extra attention.

As for how long it will take your app to get approval, I don't think there is any easy way to timeline this. Could be days, could be weeks, could be months. It's still too much of a black box right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.