Worry about the hinge on the 2010 15 inch model.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

So I still have that model from 2010. It has been going strong for around 4-5 years now and only currently have I been constantly using the MBP. I bring it to school almost everyday and probably open and close the lid 5-6 times a day. Sometimes even more.

How strong are MBP hinges? Are they known to last upward to 10 years and more.

This was a $1799 computer so I want it to last on a mechanic standpoint too. I know people have macbook pros that last them 6+ years, but what about the mechanics?

Like the hinges and what not.

I am a bid OCD when it comes to technology heh..

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Extremely strong. Other things will fail before it does.

My advice is to just use your machine as you need to and not worry about it.
    If you find it does wear out, replace it.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

MacBook Pros haven't even existed for 10 years, let alone the unibody version that your 2010 model is built on. So it's hard to say if they will definitively last that long. That said, I've seen some 10+ year old Apple iBooks that have everything, including the hinges, still working fine.

4. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright good to know. Thank you

5. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

The only hinges I've seen that are actually fragile are the hinges in the Titanium Powerbooks. The ones in the rMPB's are fairly durable from what I've seen.

6. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

That model will probably die from graphics issues sooner than the hinge. I have that one and the mother board is almost dying on me. But the god damn hinge is fine.

7. whatos macrumors 6502a

I still have my late 2002 PowerBook Ti.

You're right, the hinges were a weak spot, however with just a bit of careful handling mine are still as good as new, even years later. In fact it's one of the many Mac Laptops I chose to keep simply because it held up so well and still looks amazing.

Even though I have a brand new 15" MBPr, I enjoy using the Ti for writing.

You just can't get any better than an Apple Laptop.

8. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Are you serious? It seems as if people are purposely looking for problems with their computers. Just enjoy the machine. Stop counting how many times you open and close it.