Worrying app install; what to do now

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raymanh, Oct 5, 2017.

1. raymanh macrumors member

I obtained an app that was not what it was labelled as. After opening it, safari windows kept on closing straight after I opened it. I removed the app and everything is fine, so it seems.

To be on the safe side, I ran ClamXAV which found no threats. I don't know whether to trust this or reinstall OS fresh. I have all my passwords to everything on my keychain on my Mac.

I have read however that the macOS has XProtect which is apparently a background process so since nothing has popped up I assume it is OK.

When installing the app, it was initially blocked since it was third party, however I went into the security preferences to allow the app to open (like I had done with previous (maybe more trustworthy) third party apps); does this bypass the whole gatekeeper security system? And when the app was opening after I allowed it, it took some time while it was being 'verified'- I assume this is the Mac searching for viruses etc?

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Yes, opening the app via that process bypasses majority of Gatekeeper.. XProtect will still block known bad processes that try to execute though..

As far as the “what now?” Part of your post.. well I would recommend grabbing another AV scanner and scanning the system for anything ClamAV may not have found... also Malwarebytes for Mac..

If you are super duper worried about it.. Erase and Reinstall.