Worrying temps with rMBP and 2x 27" Thunderbolt displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xlp, May 6, 2013.

1. xlp macrumors newbie

Hello! Hopefully i posted this in the right part of the forum.

I got a early 2013 15" rMBP 2.7Ghz, 16GB, 512GB SSD, i run the computer in clamshell mode with dual 27" Thunderbolt displays, ive tried searching for someone with the same setup and what normal temperatures are but could not find anything..

I called Applecare technical support here in Sweden asking about this but the guy i was speaking to seemed clueless and didnt give me a answer if my temperatures are normal or not..

My idle temps with firefox (20 tabs) and spotify running is around 55-65 C on the CPU and 55 C on GPU with the fans running at 2000 RPM.

If i watch a stream on twitch.tv (FlashPlayer) my temps goes up to 80C on CPU and if i open 2 streams my temps rises to about 90-95C on CPU which seems very high to me and im worried to damage my computer.
    I used to play alot of Minecraft on my PC but i got tierd of windows and recently switched over to mac and my temps in minecraft are around 85-90C on CPU which has made me to not play minecraft as much as i want.

My temps before i got the thunderbolt displays were similar, maybe a few degrees cooler but pretty much the same.

My hopes are that someone here has a similar setup and could tell me what to do, if i should be worried about damage on the computer or if its normal?

Thanks! :)

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

it will shut itself down to prevent damage if it gets too hot.

3. ksowder macrumors newbie

The computer knows what temperatures are damaging and the fans will speed up accordingly. If you want to keep temps down, place the computer on a stand (where the bottom will be exposed) or on a cooler pad(with a fan). Just my .02. But the computer will shut itself down before any damage is done due to temperature.

----------

Last week I ran 2 27inch thunderbolt displays while playing minecraft on one and watching Netflix on the other. In clamshell mode temps hit about 97 C with fans at like 3000. Seems that around that temperature fans will ramp up to prevent it from going higher.

4. tann macrumors 68000

Not from experience, but I would probably say those are pretty reasonable temps for that setup, 2 27" displays a a big setup to run off the laptop so I'd expect temps 80+.

I know it's no where near the same, buy my 2010 MBP with 1 1080p external display (as 2nd screen) is currently at 2k rpm for the fans, 74c for the CPU and 64c for the GPU with about 15 chrome tabs open, spotify, vlc and some other programs.

So yours seems really good.

When I run twitch my fans jump to 6k (especially for high quality streams) and cpu up to 85-90c. GPU stays the same this particular time.

Also from what I remember, intel's processors (mobile ones at least) can go up to about 105c before they automatically shut themselves down. So I would imagine where you are is within the safe range.

5. xlp thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that was really fast replys! Thanks guys! Hopefully its fine then and i can stop with my worry. Good that it shutdowns if it gets too hot!

I forgot i mension that i have the rMBP in a Bookarc and not flat on the desktop, guess that helps abit.

My fans only goes up to 6000 rpm when the temps are over 90C.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If you don't mind fans running, there are program/apps like "fan control" that can turn the fans on earlier, before the CPU/GPU reaches your uncomfortable range. The app was very useful years ago when MacBookPro cooling was not as effective. Of course, under heavy use, the temps may eventually rise to the same point anyway.

7. joshhedge macrumors regular

8. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I would suggest not running it in clamshell mode. I'm not familiar with the new rMBP, but I've run a MBP with external display for years and I never close the lid, even if I'm not using the machine's built-in display. I believe there is a way to disable the display while you're running external monitors and leave the lid open. This will allow much better airflow and keep your machine cooler.

9. chmodme macrumors member

I also use an Arc

Given the MBP vents both fans out the back, I am perfectly fine using the Book Arc and having the back of the unit in the vertical or up position. I have used this configuration for years.

chmodme