Worse graphics performance after 10.5.6 (MBP)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fabiano, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Fabiano macrumors regular

Anybody else experiencing poor graphic performance after the update? I used to play Age of Empires 3 in the Highest settings (with AA off), now I have to push down some settings, in order to have a decent frame rate! this sucks :/

I have an Early 2008 MBP.

2. TRaymond macrumors newbie

Yes...I am.

I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro and use mine for video editing (not gaming). At anyrate, I spent some time at the Apple store today. After speaking with the "Genius's", I came home and started some testing.

-- Clean Install of OS X from install CD's....
    -- Go to www.apple.com/movies and watch the Day the earth stood still trailer.
    -- In Quicktime, use Movie Inspector. Movie is encoded in 29.97 FPS...Actual playback frame rate.....29-30 FPS.

so far so good.

-- Update to 10.5.6.
    -- View same movie as above. Frame rates now 15-20 FPS.

Interestingly this only occurs if I have the "Higher Performance" option set in Energy Saver. "Better Battery Life" will yield the proper Frame Rate of 29-30 FPS... It appears that there is some kind of incompatibility with something in 10.5.6/Quicktime that the 9600M GT video Card doesn't like.

HELP!!!!!

3. The General macrumors 601

No problems here. On 10.5.6, on 9400 and 9600, the day the earth stood still 1080P trailer plays at 30 solid all the way through, full screen and in a window that is bigger than my display.

EDIT: My apologies. I was using VLC. Quicktime is giving me the same results the above poster is getting. 20-ish fps on 9600, 30fps solid on 9400.

4. TRaymond macrumors newbie

AHA!!! I knew I wasn't going crazy. My concern is what else is affected?

IE: If I'm using Final Cut Express or IMovie...am I not getting the rendering performance that I should be? Seeing how everything is so closely tied to Quicktime.

I'm too new to know and I've been working on this for like 2 days now trying to troubleshoot it. :mad: & :confused:

5. Michael Baker macrumors newbie

Safari graphics corrupted (again)

After installing the 10.5.6 update, the graphics in Safari are corrupted again on my MacBook Pro 17" high res. This was a problem with the 10.5.2 update, and then Mac seemed to fix it. What gives?

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'm updated to 10.5.6, currently using the 9600 GPU and watched the HD1080 version of the day the earth stood still. I get ~27 FPS but still not the full 30.

7. TRaymond macrumors newbie

Are there any Apple "Genius"'s or any Apple Engineers that monitor these forums? IT would appear that there is a problem here.

TRaymond