Worse Job You had?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gloryofgreece, Feb 28, 2008.

1. gloryofgreece macrumors member

My worth job was at Verizon Wireless call center. Pays about $14.50 hour listen to people complain about services, whine and wanna get their bill reduced/ phone replaced. So I worked about 50 hour a week and go to school fulltime. that is pretty bad...i am sure not that worse job, but by going to school, it really put a lot of stress on me.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

with those hours it would. I have been thank multiple times when I have called into those centers by the phone person because while I am calling because something is wrong. I general always very respectful, not attacking the person but thanking them for their help. It also have discovered most of the time be being that way they will try to shove things throw faster for me or bend a few rules to make it faster for me. Like for my internet. I had and issue and because of how I to the guy he got a guy to come out the next morning on a Sunday to fix my internet (normally takes 3 days to even get them on a week day)

Worse job I ever had would be working a grocery store but even that was not to bad. I really only have had 3 jobs in my life. One in HS (grocery store), one my last 3 semesters of college which was fun and really I was getting paid to do something I would of volunteered to do.
    And now my full time job after college.

3. geekgirl macrumors regular

Telemarketing. Only job I ever quit. I lasted 2 months. To this day I hate using the phone to call non-family members...

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ha ha, same here. Except mine was for Sprint. I only did it in the summer, though, when I was home for school.

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Tire Factory. Good money, but 12-hour days and **** conditions got to me pretty fast.

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

My last job - I put up with an interminable amount of **** from customers, "management" (and use that phrase very, very loosely) and colleagues for over four years.

However, it was all worthwhile when I quit and used the money that I'd earned to go travelling around the world for five months - it was supposed to last for nine months but I enjoyed myself too much!

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

retail sales.

i don't mind retail work, i can handle it, but 'selling' products that you just don't believe in makes it hard, and painful.

8. mahashel macrumors 6502

mahashel

Door-to-door salesman.. I sold Kirby vacuum cleaners for a whole 2 months way back in 1997.
    Worst. Job. Ever.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

Annnd cue Derek and Clive...

The worst job I've had was shifting G.I. furniture around RAF/US airforce bases. HUGE HEAVY bits of furniture + Tiny cramped houses = Miserable me

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Its those Door-to-Door Door Salesmen I feel for...

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i worked at a telemarketing company for about 3 days and i could not stand it, it wasn t really telemarketing it was doing surveys over the phone, and i mean serious surveys like hour or two hour long surveys, nobody wants to do that.... it suckeeed,, also i the worked at a factory, 12 hours a day everyday, building the electric mechanism for car windows... 12 hours just standing there doing nothing but repetitive work in a very smelly and greasy environment, then i wnat to work with animals, and this job i loved but i thought it really reallyw asn t safe for me at all i practically was in charge of 13 horses, a dog and 3 chicken for the weekend, the problem is that some of this horses were not so nice and tried to hurt me a couple times a day specially this one mare, and then i realized if somethign were to happen to me on let s say saturday morning they wouldn t find me until monday morning which is just not cool at all... i was nt forced to wear protection, not even safety boots (i did) but the fact thatthey did not even care if i did made me feel vry unsafe about it it so i quit after a month...

12. jSunbeam macrumors regular

two words.

sushi factory.

starting at 6am in a freezing cold warehouse standing on a production line all day putting a bit of sushi into a box for supermarkets. if i was lucky, i could get to spend all afternoon cleaning the rice machine or cutting 300 cucumbers into strips.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Where was this?

14. alFR macrumors 68020

Cardboard box factory. If you haven't spent 12 hours picking up and stacking strips of cardboard as they come out of a cutting/rolling machine you've never lived. :rolleyes:

15. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Plasma clinic...a CROOKED plasma clinic!

You see, selling plasma is big business. Think about it: they can afford to give the DONORS almost 40 bucks, so you know they are making serious mad cash off of the stuff.

I worked about 11 months in a plasma clinic that would regularly fudge the rules for donors (allowing those with high BP, certain conditions, etc.) to donate. These people were the absolute dregs of the Earth. Some came in drunk, most had no teeth, all smelled bad, and without exception, they were possessing some of the worst attitudes in history. Fights would break out, stuff would get stolen in the parking lot, it was terrible. Lots of belligerence, no respect, frequent demands, sometimes open hostility. Moreover, all of the staff were terminally depressed, and were not pleasant people to work with for the most part.

Icing on the cake? I had to stick these unpleasant people with 14g needles ALL DAY.

It sucked. Before I even started, they cut everyone's pay (crooked, eh?), which seriously undermined the reason for doing it. Fortunately, I did it mostly for the money and also to get some phlebotomy experience, but no amount of cash would ever have me go back there.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

A "large engineering and communications company".... as an Engineer.

They expected you to "live" there, and most the Sr. Engineers, and ALL of sales and marketing and management thought they and the products they made were the greatest thing since "sliced bread"....

If they go out of business, they deserve to...

17. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

LMAO. One person's worst job is another person's dream job.

My least favorite job was in direct sales. Calling people on the phone to try and convince them to set up an appointment for me to go to their house and do a presentation on cutlery.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

19. 119576 Guest

Actor, here.

20. remmy macrumors 6502a

Night security guard

12 hour shift, nothing to do expect walk around in a large extremely hot old building. very lonely

never got over the feeling i was being followed :confused:

21. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I have really liked my jobs (except for my last few months at Sun), the major exception was a job I got in the fall of 2001.... Delivering Telephone Books. I got paid by the book, and I live in a rural area. I ended up making about $300 driving around, by the end, I just started tossing the books (wrapped in bags) at the end of long driveways, instead of going all the way up to houses to deliver them. The worst thing is that we had to go out of our way to make sure we weren't even remotely close to the mail box, because some postmen were taking the books, putting them into the mailbox, then charging Verizon for postage (thankfully, we only have rural routes).

TEG

22. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

My relatively worst job was newspaper runs at a 13 story hotel at 3 AM. I had to drop off a paper by each door carrying 30-40 lbs of newspapers in each hallway, so I don't take too many trips restocking for more. Wasn't that bad but there were days where I was extremely tired and couldn't lift more than 10 lbs. sure was a strain for my KIA's suspension though, carrying 640 newspapers in it's trunk.

23. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Working in a call centre doing broadband tech support and canvassing over the phone.

Getting complaints all day and then ringing people to do surveys and be told to sod off isn't the best thing in the world. Especially for minimum wage.

24. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Well as of now I only had three jobs, which they all where awesome. Althought my last one I am quitting (giving notice today) just because the direction the company is taking (how management) with their employees. Basically my boss changed and basically ran her department with an institution of fear.

25. Smoogz macrumors member

ewwww my worst job ever was at Wal-Mart... I worked in the Tire and Lube Express section. OMG Ive never dealt with so many rude people in one day before. Im telling youu it was insane.

Luckily my next job was sat Gamestop! :cool: Man I loved that job... yeah the company pushed you to sell the little magazine subscriptions and cards and stuff but i love gaming (what can i say :D) Too bad it payed basically nothing....:(