Worst 13.3 macbook pro release for 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macurgirl, Dec 5, 2011.

1. macurgirl macrumors newbie

I am impress with the cpu performance (ex dual core i7), and thurderbolt is good but i prfer usb 3.0. Apple is forcing me to buy 15 inch macbook pro because it has discreet graphic card like am hd radeon. I hate all intergrated graphics whether is pc or macs. The screen resolution for 13.3 macbooks should have been 1400 x 900 instead of 1280 x 800. Did apple dumb options for 7200 rpm instead of 5400rpm? I hope 2012 macbook pro lines improve. My best example is all macbook pro should have atleast 1gb of discreet graphic card memory and 1080p screens including 13.3 inchs.

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Nope, Apple doesn't make you buy anything...

You could buy a windows box...I'd prefer they just didn't mess with my small Mac's

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

looking forward to ivy bridge. but, to be honest, the current processor (i5) is quite nice.

i don't care too much about usb 3.0, but i am wondering where the thunderbolt accessories are. hundreds of dollars for an external drive? lol. this port is a joke and a total waste of space.

i don't care too much about the discrete graphic card. why does it matter? integrated keeps the costs down and i don't see any problems with performance. i suppose it depends on how well they integrate it.

i am not terribly concerned about my hd drive speed. it is slow either way. however, i would like an ssd + hd option standard on the base model 13". the difference between the 13" mbp and mba ought to be processors (the ivy bridge version of an i7), hd, and ram (base of 8gb). but, i could see them dropping the 13" mbp entirely as well. the lack of ram in the mba line will keep me from buying into it anytime soon.

1080p screens? sounds good!

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's called supply and demand. Apple has created a demand for a notebook that they can artificially price high. And their shareholders what profit. So Apple prices high, people buy, and everyone except the knowledgable consumer is happy.

P.S. If you want an i7 in a shiny metal case, backlit keyboard, discrete 1gb graphics, and a 13" screen, look at the Dell Vostro line, specifically the 3350.

5. GuitarG20, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

a 1080p screen on a 13" computer would jack the price so high it would be basically the same price as a 17. and, at that resolution, everything would be way to small on a 13" screen. Also keep in mind that for Apple to maintain their thin profile, everything is literally packed into their computers. There is no space for a discrete GPU in the 13"

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

So that you can comment on this fact in each thread separately!

8. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I'd like better resolution on the 13" MBP. I never really thought about how bad it was until I got a 13" Air.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

:eek: LOL!

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

11. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

But I was hoping Apple would take the 1080p 13" screen seriously! And they should add a feature with Thunderbolt where it shoots $100 bills out of there on Tuesday mornings. :D

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I don't know how you'd be able to see anything on that screen...

13. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I'm just fine with everything on my 13" MBP except for the resolution. Clearly Apple is messing with us, MBA 13" has higher res than the 13" MBP and it's thinner as well. Obviously they are more than capable of making the 13" res higher.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Sure, if they use a lower quality panel. Take a look at color gamut and accuracy of a Pro vs. an Air. That's part of the reason I don't like the Air (along with it being overly thin - to me it feels flimsy).

15. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I'd like it if Apple were to implement everything you ask for but they are good reasons as to why they can't/won't implement all of it.

1. OSX's UI doesn't scale properly like Windows. A high res screen in a small computer would be unbearably difficult to use.

2. Most consumers look at drive capacity, not speed. Offering the slower option by default with the option to upgrade is a nice way to boost margins.

3. Intel doesn't support USB 3.0 with the current chipsets. Apple can't throw USB 3.0 in without a 3rd party controller chip like some other manufacturers do. Some would say there is no space in the laptop but I don't believe. I do believe that Apple won't give you any more features than they can get away with.

4. 1GB of VRAM? For what? The 13.3" MBP cannot have a GPU powerful enough to take advantage of that VRAM. VRAM is great for holding large textures but it is useless if your GPU isn't fast enough to actually fill all of it. I'd much rather have my money go towards a compromise between GPU performance and VRAM size. Also, a low res computer doesn't make very good use of additional VRAM. My friend has a 1GB 5470m that runs just as slow as my old 256mb 8600m GT.

16. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

That's exactly why i never buy MBA, if by any chance next year 13" will be replaced by MBA, i will have to get the 15".

17. leman macrumors 604

Please find me a similar-sized PC laptop with a dedicated GPU. Right, there aren't that many, because there is just no space to fit a GPU + optical and stay slim and light at the same time. Apple has always prioritized mobility and power efficiency over raw GPU performance, and that's in part what makes their products successful. BTW, they could fit a GPU if they removed the optical drive (and I hope they do).

I agree on the topic of the display though, the 13" MBP should have the same resolution as the MBA. Still, 1080p is too much for 13" display.