Worst day (and customer service) ever! (Apple Store & AT&T Wireless store)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chodite, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

I got to the Apple Store this morning when they opened at 9am. No iPhones in stock. 20 mintues later, the Fed Ex guy exits the store. BINGO! I wait around, still nothing. I walk around the mall for a bit, come back and see 5 people in line and an Apple Store employee getting info from those in line. Sweet. I'm 6th in line and they now have "lots" of iPhones in stock.

I wait about 30 more minutes for the guy to get my info and finds out that because of my business discount, they can't service my account. I call customer service, get the business discount removed. All good.

I finally get called into the store to buy my iPhone. I have the iPhone box in my hand!. They then tell me the business discount is still on my account and they can't service me. I told them it was removed. They tell me to come back in a few hours. I come back 2 hours later. Stand in line AGAIN, only for the exact same thing to happen. No phone. They tell me I should order from an AT&T Wireless store. 10-21 day wait.

I drive to my local AT&T Wireless store. I hate knowing I'll have to wait 10-21 days, but I do have $100 in gift cards I got for my birthday last month, in anticipation for the iPhone release.

Everything is cool, they order my phone for me and when I hand them the $100 in ATT Wireless store gift cards, I'm told they cannot split the order between gift cards and credit card. So $100 in gift cards for nothing, I pay the full $200+ and will now wait 3 weeks for my iPhone. Fun day.

I HATE AT&T Wireless.

(Loyal, paying customer for 9 years)

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Huh? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Sounds like they staff those AT$T stores with the lowest common denominator. :rolleyes: You must have to fail an I.Q. test to be able to work there.

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

How frustrating! Glad my experience wasn't like that on July 11, but at least you can use the gift card for your monthly bill.......right?

4. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Hey that's actually a great question. I'm going to expect the worst there.... and hope for the best :)

5. naomick macrumors newbie

wow! that really blows! sorry you had such a crappy experience:eek:

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First of all, sorry for your predicament. Second, it is at&t, not AT&T Wireless (two completely different companies, technically, you were dealing with at&t mobility a subsidary of at&t, Inc., not AT&T Wireless, a former subsidiary of AT&T Corporation, now a subsidiary of at&t.) It always takes between one week and two months for changes to your at&t mobility account to be reflected in your account information. I've been dealing with AT&T and at&t since 1997 (when they bought TCI) and later as an AT&T Wireless->Cingular->at&t mobility customer, and this has always been the case. I'm really getting upset with this whole, WE MUST ACTIVATE the iPhone rules, that is really what is screwing you. Blame the Jailbreakers and the Unlockers, they are the ones that forced at&t and Apple to do this to you.

TEG

7. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

well, I must say that I experienced customer service above and beyond the call of duty today. Around 2:00 PM I figured that I would just stop in the apple store- on the off chance that they got a shipment even though the online availability tool said they wouldn't be having any today.

Much to my surprise they had a full selection in stock. When it was my turn the apple employee told me AT&T was claiming I wasn't eligible for an upgrade-even though I was upgrading from the original iPhone. After some confusion the apple employee agreed to hold a phone for me while I went to straighten things out at AT&T.

Over at AT&T they said they couldn't figure out the problem and told me to try again, and if the same thing happened have the apple store call them and they'd try to work it out together.

After we tried everything we could think of apple just said "to heck with it-buy him the phone". Next thing I know I was getting rung up for a full price, unsubsudized $600 phone- and getting handed a $320 gift card and being thanked for my patience.

I have no doubt apple will get that money from AT&T- so I don't want to make it sound like they gave me the world or anything - but I thought it was pretty cool of them. I appreciated it.

8. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

I had the same problem. The Apple guy entered my info and it said I wasn't eligible for the upgrade price. We pulled up my AT&T account on a computer, and it shoed I have a first generation iPhone and I am eligible for an upgrade. There was an AT&T rep in the Apple store, but after explaining the situation to him, he wasn't interested in helping. The AT&T rep that we were talking to on the phone said that I could buy the phone at the unsubsidized price, and she would give me a credit on my account for the difference. She ended up giving me a credit for the price difference plus the whole tax amount, so my phone ended up being tax free.

9. paulinhadrp macrumors member

It can take up to 24 hours for the FAN discount to actually disappear from your account.
    You should try again tomorrow.

10. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Too late now unfortunately.
    I already ordered one through the AT&T store.

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

This was announced before the phones went on sale that people in your situation would have to deal with AT&T.

Was not exactly a secret. Unfortunately you wasted your time, but 10-15 minutes of due diligence before heading out to make your purchase would have saved you a lot of time and energy. You could have ordered your phone and already had it from AT&T or have it shortly.

12. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Announced where?

It sure wasn't announced to me when I called AT&T customer service over the weekend to verify that I was eligible for a phone upgrade and specifically asked, "I can buy a new iPhone at an Apple Store, correct?"
    It wasn't announced in any of the news articles I've read about the iPhone 3G release.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It was announced, for example, here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/
    I suppose the AT&T representative who told you you could get your iPhone at the Apple store missed the fact that your account was still showing as having the business discount. :(

14. bluelondon macrumors regular

why on earth would u just accept what they tell you, like not being able to use your gift card, thats ridiculous. so we have to buy a product equaling the exact amount of the gift card now?

you should have spoken to a supervisor about this.

15. View macrumors regular

If you can't use the gift card for the monthly bill, then what the hell is the gift card for???

16. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I had the whole discount fiasco happen the morning of the 11th. They removed it over the phone and it went through 30 seconds later. I guess I lucked out.

17. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Man, that sucks. I'd sure be pist.

I called AT&T ahead of time to verify it would be smooth sailing when I went to the Apple store. They assured me all was good to go and they'd even make a note on the account that I am eligible to buy at the subsidized rate. I wanted to make sure my FAN discount from work wasn't going to get in the way, too. The gal, who was very nice and helpful, told me that everything will go smoothly, but I will lose my FAN discount with the new service. I said that was fine and we ended the call. Days later, I'm at the Apple store to buy my phone and the Apple software flags me as having a business discount and that pretty much ended the transaction right there. The Apple guy had me log in to my AT&T account on one of the Macbooks in the store, but the site was not responding. He then called AT&T and waited on hold for an agent while I kept trying to get my account up on the computer. Finally, he connected with an agent who verified to him I was eligible and things were finally able to move forward. That was about ten minutes of panic and frustration but I got the phone. If I hadn't, I'd run home to cry myself to sleep after a brief tantrum. :D

18. DrummerMan macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me only I ordered it from AT&T on direct fulfillment on 7/11. When it came in on 7/18 I went to pick it up and they said I did not qualify for the upgrade price. ($199) :mad: I said, "if that was the case why didn't you say so on 7/11!?" They said they had to talk to the manager who wasn't in that day. :)They called me back an hour later and said they worked it out and I can pick up the phone now. After that all was good! I have been an AT&T/ Cingular customer for that past 8 years. Even though they have made my blood pressure rise on occasion, they have always corrected whatever problem i've/ They've had.

19. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Not true...I have removed FAN account on two separate accounts and successfully removed them while standing in line and became qualified. Both times I was already with the Apple employees, and both time within 10 minutes of calling I was able to go from unqualified to qualified.

20. ccl1590888 macrumors newbie

i got my white iphone in 3 days and i ordered it a week after the release.

21. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Yeah the Apple employee told that sometimes it happens within seconds, sometimes it happens within days.... and sometimes it never happens. I fall into one of the latter 2 categories.

22. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I removed my fan discount with phone in hand and within seconds I was able to buy the phone. I would not have left the store if I waited that long and had the phone in hand. No way, someone, somewhere would have made it work. I don't put up with that B.S.

23. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Update

An AT&T rep called this morning and offered me a $100 credit to my account (since I had to pay $100 more than I planned because of the gift card fiasco). No luck in getting the shipment moved up or anything but that's beyond their control. All in all, I can't complain. I just wish I could have walked out of the Apple Store yesterday with my new iPhone. Hopefully AT&T and Apple can communicate with each other better on the next launch.

24. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Like that will ever happen. They could have simply put a AT&T rep inside of every Apple store during the first 2 weeks of the launch, which would have easily resolve most issues.

25. Chodite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Update 2!

Got my iPhone this morning at my local Apple Store! The discount rate code was still on my account and locking out the Apple employee. He dialed customer service for me and (for the 3rd time), they claimed that the rate code has "just been removed". 30 seconds later - BINGO!

I'm guessing the AT&T customer service reps I spoke with on Monday had NO clue what they were doing.

Anyway, I'm very happy now and am LOVING this phone.