Worst Fear

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deathshrub, Dec 11, 2007.

1. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Yes, you know what I'm about to say.

Trying to not be so nearsighted, I've thought up this terrible possibility - what if the mac pro is not updated in January? Would it then likely be April? August?

I only raise the question because Apple does not seem very committed to their Pro line of desktops at all. The only revision in 2007 only added twice the cores, and left everything else unchanged. This is completely unacceptable for a workstation in my opinion.. letting machines being sold at the end of 2007 have components from the start of 2006 in them. Apple should be updating these machines at LEAST a few times a year. Also in the past it seems that the line is updated a few months into the year, not in Jan.

So what do you think? What are the chances Apple is going to leave us hanging? :mad: (i guess no one really knows this, but it would be nice to get some feedback.)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know if that is my worst fear. Wait...nope not even a fear. I'm sure they'll update it though in due time. The pro line isn't a huge seller around Christmas as the consumer line would be. That's just a thought. I could be wrong as I haven't any data to support my claims or calm your fears.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I am inches away from just buying one. My only fear is of my impatience.

4. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Wrong.

The end of the year is the time for many companies to spend the remaining budget or get the taxcuts from investments.
    Now,apple skimping on the update is a real biatch for many companies.
    I know personally few instances that has had to spend the money elsewhere, (even on PC products ,cough..) because people see the current MP as bad investment/poor ROI.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

x2 (although you have a new iMac and MBP...I have no sympathy for you)

Yes, that is my biggest fear. But if you hide under the covers and put the pillow over your head, the big monster can't get you.

6. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

It's fears like this (possibly ungrounded) that make me wish Apple would split into two entities: Apple Media (iPhones, iTunes, movie rentals..any consumer iGadget) and good ol' Apple Computer. The refresh cycle on the Pro hardware and Pro apps may naturally span a longer time, but it still feels like their resources have been directed elsewhere of late, much to the chagrin of those of us who are tired of hearing nothing but iPhone this, iGadget that.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The only revisions other Workstation vendors made were to offer double the cores (obviously they nearly all have a larger range, but still) and to add the new Quadro cards when they came out. Some added the new ATI Fire GL cards too. Maybe there should have been a GPU revision, but I doubt it made sense financially from the point of view of any party involved in the process (Apple, manufacturer, Nvidia/ATI). I also doubt the number of customers who were demanding new cards is large enough to have any impact. I'm not defending Apple's position, I'd love them to have a full range of processors and consumer and workstaion graphics cards, but it is easy to see why things are the way they are. And I don't think any of them indicate Apple has abandonded or given up on the Mac Pro.

8. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I could say wrong to this as well.

Most larger companies that are publicly traded freeze spending in December. Getting approval to buy something in December in a large corporation is a challenge.

I guess you could argue that buyers of mac pros generally aren't publicly traded companies.

9. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

Not at all, just asking you to stop taking a hit and actually doing a forum search before posting a topic that has already covered by at least 3 other threads.

~Crawn

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The next Mac Pro should be based around this chipset

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/5400/index.htm

Edit: Likely to be updated real soon, though because of the nature of this machine ... expect the GPUs to fall behind quick, that R&D ball and chain.

One Low power 35W card standard, a fast GPU, and a Quadro.

Though Apple could be waiting on a PCIe 2.0 card or a Nvidia SLI card.

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The G92 chip used on the Geforce 8800GT and Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB are both PCI-Express v2 and so are the Radeon HD 3800 series.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But alas they still would need to become Apple compatible cards, that nasty driver issue.

Though likely neither of these cards will be the "standard" card, unless Apple finally elects to make the low power card the optional low volume card.

We got the info on the chipset now, the big question left is basically the Nvidia SLI option (the one Intel has been playing with) and the GPUs. As well as the intro date, which should be early to mid first quarter of 2008.

14. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

The odds are extremely good that Apple picked three video cards a few months ago. I am sure Apple has the new drivers ready to go.

True, but I'm not sure where you are going with that.

What SLI option? There will not be an nVidia SLI card in the new Mac Pro; therefore, it is a non-issue.

15. Jonny427 macrumors regular

I have no reason to believe that Apple will offer SLI graphics. Instead, I think they'll offer a single card option that will be more expensive and will run slower than two lesser cards combined :rolleyes:

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The Radeon HD 3850 is really cheap here in Denmark, I reckon they could have it as the base card. Trying to remember the price of the Geforce 7300GT two years ago, which properly is the same as the Radeon HD 3850 can be had for now.

We can only hope!

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Intel was playing around with the 5400 chipset, one of the designs included an Nvidia SLI chip.

A design option silly enough to be something Apple cooked up, and odd coming from Intel.

I don't hold out much hope for it, just the method of the design is strange, odd, and makes me wonder why.

>Pressure

I don't think the base card is about price, it seems to be about it being a card that fits in with the power requirements of all the slots for those 8 monitor machines.

If the 3850 has dropped to 35W, it may become that card.

Just look back a few generations and the low end card was always "low power" ...

http://developer.apple.com/document...l/HWTech_Video/Introduction/Introduction.html

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Oh ok :)

But seeing the Radeon HD 3850 consuming about the same power as the Geforce 8600 GTS while totally, excuse my language, raping it I just got all giddy inside with hope ;)

For no apparent reason it would seem :p

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Thank you for putting the search police in their place. May you get the Mac Pro of your dreams ready to ship on January 14th.

20. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Not odd at all. Intel have no current chipset with native SLI. If you want it with Intel you have to go with Nvidia's own chipset. This also means that anyone wanting to use SLI'd Quadro cards (where SLI can really show it's benefits) has only an option of desktop chipset/processors with an 8GB memory limit or an AMD system. I doubt Apple are that bothered about SLI.

21. deathshrub thread starter macrumors 6502

Have to agree with you there. Not sure why Apple is so committed to shipping each one of their computers with outdated, weak GPUs. Kinda makes them a laughingstock.

22. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'm not looking to buy a Mac Pro until March 2009, but I'm still keeping an eye on the next revision as some sort of indication of when the one after that will come. :p

And man, Apple are being slow... if January comes and goes and there's no Mac Pro, that'll be about 18 months without an update - I can only hope it doesn't take them another 18 months to bring out the one after that!

23. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

If Apple waits any longer, it will be a Nehalem Mac Pro instead of a Harpertown Mac Pro.

24. benpatient macrumors 68000

funny, if the OP had gone and searched the forums for similar threads before posting, and he resurrected a long-dead thread instead of starting a new one, he would have probably been scolded by the forum police for bringing back a dead thread.

you can't win with the forum police.