Worst iMac order experience

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sloncek, Jun 14, 2012.

1. sloncek macrumors newbie

Horrible Apple experience. Ordered iMac online, since I could no longer wait for a refresh or a redesign. I got a refurbished 27". Go get it at UPS. Get it home. turns on, nothing on screen. Display seems to be broken. Call apple. They told me to go to the Apple store and they will take care of the exchange if necessary. At the apple store they tell me that my computer doesn't exist. It's serial number isnt in the database. They told me that they cannot send it back for replacement and they suggest I do not get it repaired, but exchanged. I have to go back home with it. On the phone they keep directing my call to somebody else. They realize they sent me a wrong computer, since they have a different serial number in the database. They tell me that in order to get it replaced I need to use express lane and that they cannot do anything on the phone. Express Lane says 'We're sorry, but we are unable to complete your request at this time'. I try it few more times over few hours. Doesn't work. I call apple support back. They tell me I should return it. I asked if I can get it exchanged for a different one and they told me that that isnt possible since it is a refurbish and that they will refund me after they get the computer back. And it will probably take 3-7 days.

So I again, have no computer. I am $40 bucks out for zipcar and dif. cabs that I had to take. For what? To try my luck again in 7 days?

Sorry, I had to vent guys. But this was definitely the worst Apple experience I have ever had.

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Wow, that does suck. Best of luck in getting it sorted out.

3. Tumej macrumors member

then when i read the story i was like :eek:
    god thank that doesn't happen to me :eek:

4. necromorph, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

I've read a number of these threads and it does not inspire me with confidence in apple.

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Just remember that these are a very small sampling of customers. No company is perfect and mistakes will be made, but there are also a large majority of happy customers out there who don't usually come online to write about it, as they are busy enjoying their product.

It sucks when something like this does happen and it's a major inconvenience for the customer, as well as putting them out more money than necessary, but think for a moment how many bad posts you have read, and then think how many millions of Mac's have been sold.

6. Mac2133 macrumors member

I find it hard to believe you are defending Apple on this one. Sloncek was talking about his bad experience - not "a large majority" of customers or the "millions of Mac's" that Apple has sold.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm not defending apple exactly, but I'm also not commenting on Sloncek's problem directly, only the comment I quoted above.

Like I said, every company makes mistakes and you have those customers who were bitten hard enough to never return. If I was a first time mac buyer and this was my experience, I wouldn't buy from apple again. But since I've had many good experiences from them and I had one instance like this, I'd be upset for sure, but wouldn't base my thoughts of the company around this one mistake (like necromorph appears to be doing).

God knows how they shipped him a computer who's SN wasn't recognized and because of that, it's making the return process much harder than it needs to be. It will get sorted out eventually and in the long run, it's not that big of a deal, unless of course he runs his business off this computer.

8. sloncek thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not saying apple customer service sucks. They were extremely nice over the phone and in the store. They were just as confused as I was. I have already reordered a new one and it will hopefully arrive tomorrow or on saturday.

Just when you would think that things are sorting themselves out though, I receive an email from FedEX with my print label my address on it wrong (pretty much no street name, just apartment number). So I went on a call with them, AGAIN, and they told me that my address doesn't even matter. Now, to carry those 52 lbs another half a mile (im not paying for any more cabs).

9. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

Make sure you keep written documentation of all your costs incurred do to Apples mistake. I would be very curious to see how this plays out. Please keep us updated. I am almost certain in the end Apple will take care of you. If you can't get satisfaction from Apple directly try BBB.com. Maybe they can aid you in these troubles.

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Well I'm glad it's starting to get better for you, but jesus, it's one thing after another on this event. See if you can "acquire" a shopping cart or something of that nature to carry it down there.

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Not saying your situation doesn't suck here with Apple, but you can't blame them for the inconvenience that comes with living in a big city (sounds like NYC).

12. sloncek thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesn't sound like Apple cares at all about these costs. But at the end of the day I just want this ordeal to be over and get my iMac, since I need to get to work :)

Oh... I checked BBB.com... Im a little afraid to trust this woman:
    [​IMG]

13. stevenb macrumors member

Sorry to hear about your problem. You sure did have a rough ride. I have also had a few hurdles to deal with, but I always buy refurbished units. Just bought a 21.5" unit for $999 for my mom. I saved $200 and in this day and time, that is a lot of money. I open up the box and everything looks great. I pull the wireless keyboard out of the box and the keyboard area is pushed in about one inch. It is like something got dropped on it in the middle, or someone put there hand in the middle and pushed down. Two of the keys did not work. I called Apple and they were trying to blame the shipper. I told them it is not there fault, it is the person who packaged it. So, I asked if I could swap it out with a wired full keyboard with the 10-key pad. He said sure and did not want the wireless keyboard back. I had it the next day. It really seems like they want their customers to have a good experience. I always buy AppleCare as well. My old 24" iMac just had a hard drive failure under warranty. I dropped it off at my Apple Store and had it back the next day. The normal cost to replace is almost $300.00. I just took my 17" MacBook Pro apart (out of warranty) and replaced the heat sink, thermal past, two fans and a hard drive. I like that they are still repairable. Sorry this one was a nightmare for you. Hope you get your new computer soon!

14. Melbourne Park macrumors regular

Try Public Relations

Complain to Public Relations, they may be able to pull some strings. Tell them you want some recompense for the time delays and costs you've straight up incurred. Plus the significant opportunity costs you've suffered due to their own negligence.

Apple says their Re-Furbs are as good as new, and they must be, since Apple re-furbished them. Like, a scratch here, they replace the plastic or metal, and its perfect again, but labelled re-furb. And they are warranted for just as long as straight from China units. So don't feel guilty about the Re-Furb issues. Feel ripped off about their incompetence and very poor service instead. That the apple store sent you on your way is disgraceful. They've had your money for days, and you've been traipsing around carting heavy gear and wasting your time.

And if PR are not helpful, ask for their superior. And get their individual names. And if the superior is not helpful, or people do not ring back, then find out their superiors. Go the the Public Secretary, who is in charge of shareholder relations if necessary. And write and email Tim Cook. Letters to the CEO have to be read by the way. Not always by the CEO, but your bet, by someone with a heck of a load of authority.

Remember, they do not know who you are or what you do. Always be respectful and professional too. But be firm about getting a solution that makes up for what they have done to you.

And make detailed notes about what happened and is what is happening, and a detailed time line. So you can use it, and send that to the seniors at Apple.

It may help the company too, because bad service is not what they are about.

15. Sam Spade macrumors regular

16. sloncek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice everybody!
    Will let them know.

17. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I don't know about all the hype on the refurbished Apple product. You can get lucky or you can have the luck this guy has had. I can buy under the University program so that makes a refurbished about $180 less. I think for that it's not worth it. You can get lucky but what if you are one of the unlucky ones?

I know the warranty is the same as new but what if you have to go through the hassle this guy has. My time is worth more than the $180 at this stage in my life.