Worst Job you have ever had?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hbk48942, Jan 20, 2015.

1. hbk48942 macrumors newbie

mine was 3 days in my college study support , didnt get to do much in those 3 days for whatever reason.

2. tayluftwaffel macrumors member

I worked in a factory in china for no pay, 12 hour shifts, sweating all day. Sorry about your desk job

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Had a lot of temporary jobs when I was young with an agency. I got sent to a tyre place once and had to unload a huge lorry full of tyres. So boring, and those things get heavy. Filthy dirty as well.
    That was probably the worst.
    Taking dead people to the morgue was pretty unpleasant as well.

----------

Why no pay?

4. Mr. McMac, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Mine was finding fuel leaks in Airplanes around 1980. I worked one day and called it quits. Came home smelling like kerosene. Plus it was a very hard job only a few could tolerate. I wasn't one of them.. I forgot to mention, I'm a very good mechanic, but yet this job was way too complicated for me. I had to crawl in the fuel tanks with the hatch closed and pressurized, spray foam substance around all the conduits and watch for bubbles. I had to wear an oxygen mask..It was horrible. I tried it because the pay was good.. Not good enough for being miserable...

5. tayluftwaffel macrumors member

I was parodying OP. Minimum pay is more believable. But really, I worked on a farm for a while in my childhood where I bathed cows, pigs, and horses, and cleaned up after then. While there are far worse jobs out there, it certainly wasn't the best I've ever had.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Not one for the smokers then. :D

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Not unless you had a death wish....

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I was working in an architect's office. The owner was a real dick to people, and I was terribly uncomfortable working for him. I lasted less than a year.

Another job I had which should have been more pleasant was terribly stressful to me - I was actually hospitalized for a couple of days - and I was glad to leave there, as well.

9. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Firm at I worked at prior to my current job. The boss was Satan's mother to put it mildly.

10. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I suppose the worst job was working the kill in a packing house. It wasn't really that bad. It's just probably the worst I've had.

Bathed cattle and hogs? Why would they have you doing that?

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow, that sounds particularly awful!

12. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I worked in an electronics store that was owned by a drunk. You never knew what kind of a mood he was going to be in. The work you were doing had nothing to do with the way he was going to treat you.

13. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Cleaning barrack latrines of a local Air Force Base. Disgusting.

14. Scepticalscribe, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As the thread develops, I am fascinated by an interesting distinction which appears to have been drawn between how individual posters have chosen to define what they consider to have been their 'worst job'.

Some of the posts describe jobs that really do seem to have been gruesome, or possibly physically difficult, dirty, demanding, disgusting and exhausting in themselves. But others have written about the soul-destroying effects of working for a dreadful boss, and how this ensured that the job - which might have been interesting otherwise, - became an absolute nightmare.

However, to a certain extent, it does seem to serve to confirm that old cliché, the one which says 'people don't leave jobs [although they, do, of course] they leave bad bosses'.

15. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

It seriously was a nightmare. The fact that it wasn't just an empty tank. It had all these conduits running through them. It was a complicated maze. I barely made it through the day. BTW, the job was at Kennedy Airport in NY. I forget the name of the company.

16. shawnpuerto macrumors member

I worked a fryer in college. Fried french fried and chicken strips. I know there's worse to be had, but it only lasted about 4 months before I couldn't take it anymore

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

My worst and best job are the same. My time in the military. Some times it was hard and there are so many BS details and deployments. At the same time I got to visit a few countries and see a lot of things.

Anyone ever work as a fluffer? That's got to be a pretty bad job.

18. Face Ache macrumors regular

Face Ache

Installing asbestos fencing.

Trench digging + Aussie summer + asbestos.

19. damidget macrumors regular

STRAYAAAAA!!!!

But seriously my worst job was when I worked at Hungry Jacks (Burger King).

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I hope you wore a mask!! I recently went on an Asbestos training course and its nasty stuff isn't it? :)

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The worst job I ever had?

That has to be retrieving lobsters from Jayne Mansfield's bum. ;)

22. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Complaints manager at a local Spa/Hotel. Was like being stuck inbetween a rock and hard place. The customers would complain, I would pass on the feedback to management above and request certain improvements. All of my requests were denied no matter what and then I'd be told off for not reducing the amount of complaints.

And the worst thing, when I told them what was occurring and why no progress was being made, they didn't give a ****. So I told them to go **** themselves after two years and never returned. No idea why they even bothered employing me if they had no intention of listening to me.

Worst customer had to be this American dude who got super offended when a receptionist said the word 'toilet'. Apparently they call it a 'restroom' over there and it took two bottles for free champagne to help him get over the horror of hearing the word 'toilet'.

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Would have to be my first job, working in my friend's father's Chinese laundry when I was 11. Sorting through people's cum stained sheets and smelly men's shirts for a whopping $1.50 an hour.

24. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I am sure there is a special place in hell for telemarketers... I was one during my struggling college years... Only for a couple of months

I felt horrible for trying to swindle old ladies and gullible people to apply for a credit card over the phone... Ughhh

25. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy