Worst luck, need advice..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mlchai, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mlchai macrumors newbie

So I bought an iPod touch from an ebay seller who claimed it was refurbished and lightly used. It wasn't. It was defective, and after disputing with the seller I decided to go to an Apple Store and exchange it. Luckily I got it exchanged...however, the one I received from Apple turns out to be defective as well. There's static that always plays when I listen to anything, but that's not the problem. The problem is, iTunes can't see it. I've verified this with my computer and 2 other people's computers. To make things worse, I tried to put it into recovery mode but it won't even enter recovery mode. I've also jailbroken it so I can't go back to Apple for a new one yet.

As you can tell, this kind of sucks and I'm kinda screwed at the moment. What I really want to do though is put the iPod into recovery mode, I'm sure I'm doing it right but could someone tell me the procedure for it? Thanks!

2. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

to put it in recovery mode do this (this is what i have to do)

-make sure ipod is on (preferably home screen) and plugged into computer with itunes open
    -press and hold the home button and sleep/turn off button at the same time
    -hold them both and wait
    --it should say slide to turn off, but keep holding
    --then that apple symbol will appear, keep holding
    -then as soon as the screen turns black count to 4 (1 mississippi, 2 miss, etc.)
    -then release the sleep/turn off button but keep holding the home button (make sure that you have released the sleep/turn off button before the apple symbol appears for a second time) the screen should stay black
    -then wait and itunes should see it (with in 10 seconds) and a message will pop up saying <There is an ipod in recovery mode, blah, blah>
    -restore it and your set

Hopes this works its the only method that works with my ipod for some reason :confused:

3. xinfinity macrumors newbie

^----This is the only way I can restore my iPT. The key is to keep it plugged into your pc/mac while holding down the buttons. ;)

Good Luck!

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I am suprised that the apple store took it back without a reciept.

5. mlchai thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it doesn't work since iTunes won't even read my iPod touch...

6. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

It really should work with a power block too. Plug it in to a wall charger and push the two buttons together and hold them like the person said above and wait until it goes into recovery.

7. mlchai thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't work either. :( Hm...just wondering, the way most people know an iPod is jailbroken is if it has those extra application icons, right? If those were removed, including Installer, it would look as if it wasn't jailbroken, right?

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You never need a reciept to exchange an Apple product at the Apple store. When you register the product, that begins the warranty and they have a record of this at the Apple store. Doesn't matter if it's been purchased used from someone else.

9. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

i guess this would work but to uninstall everything you would have to SSH into your ipod from your computer to get ride of the installer app

but i'm confused right now :confused:, is the problem that your ipod won't go into recovery mode and itunes can't see it or is it that your ipod will go into recovery mode but itunes still won't see it

if the problem is that you can't get it into recovery mode i think you can force it into recovery mode by using using a code with the VT100 terminal app. and forcing it into recovery (but i'm not sure, someone correct me if i'm wrong)

10. mlchai thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the problem is iTunes can't see the iPod AND it can't go into recovery mode. It also won't charge through USB but it changes through Firewire which is odd. Anyway, I'm hoping to hide all the icons so it doesn't look jailbroken so hopefully I can exchange it for another one.