Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sako94

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Alright today i made a reservation to get a new iphone because it was turning off by it self randomly. I went to my friends house and we started to play some basketball, i get a call and the basketball hits the phone and calls i pick it up and my screen is cracked pretty bad...everythign works like no dead parts of the phone just looks ugly! do u think they will still return it? what else options do i have?

what timing.....right?

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
well, I don't think they will replace it for the screen cracking, but you could still try. You may have to pay to replace the screen and your random restart problem could be fixed with a restore.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Alright today i made a reservation to get a new iphone because it was turning off by it self randomly. I went to my friends house and we started to play some basketball, i get a call and the basketball hits the phone and calls i pick it up and my screen is cracked pretty bad...everythign works like no dead parts of the phone just looks ugly! do u think they will still return it? what else options do i have?

what timing.....right?

Bad luck side by side, sorry to hear about that OP.

As for that cracked glass, some of the threads here indicate that you have to pay for it to get replaced, but they won't replace the whole phone.

sako94

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
umm around how much will it cost and like as long as i have warrenty with the price i pay they will give me a brand new one? or refurbished or just they replace the screen

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
umm around how much will it cost and like as long as i have warrenty with the price i pay they will give me a brand new one? or refurbished or just they replace the screen

A quick search through the forums yielded a lot of results but this I think has the best response.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Accidental damage is not covered even if you had an appointment to return the device in the first place.

When the basketball hit the phone did it really make a call? ;) Impressive.
i get a call and the basketball hits the phone and calls i pick it up

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
That sucks dude. I don't think they'll replace it for nothing simply because of the screen crack. It's bad luck and all but imagine if someone came to you and said "the phone doesn't work properly, oh forget the damaged screen, it was definitely broken before that".

Would you believe them?

It just sucks and I hope they do swap it out for you, but I don't reckon they will.

harrison1000

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
scotland

what timing.....right?

Forget all that everyone has told you as you won't get a replacement, it will cost you for the screen plus the wait to get it fixed and the fault could still be there and if it is they will certainly say that the damage to the screen must have also damaged the internals. just take out an insurance policy then claim one week later that you simply lost it

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
They are definitely not going to replace it for free (under warranty) if it has a cracked screen. No way....

However, they will upgrade you to another phone for 200 bucks which is standard price for getting the screen replaced.

Sorry man, that is bad luck. I would have said bad timing, but it would suck to have the screen crack regardless of when it happened.

sako94

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
alright guys my appointment is on sunday at 4 ill let you know what happens but the thing is mine is white 16gb 3g and i have a an eligable upgrade on my grandmas number so i can use that if worse come to worse and sell my cracked one on craigslist for like 300-400(yes i put it up just a test and i got 15 legit offers so far )

i hope they give me a new one for free though =[
apple rocks but there apple care sucks ballz lol

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
alright guys my appointment is on sunday at 4 ill let you know what happens but the thing is mine is white 16gb 3g and i have a an eligable upgrade on my grandmas number so i can use that if worse come to worse and sell my cracked one on craigslist for like 300-400(yes i put it up just a test and i got 15 legit offers so far )

i hope they give me a new one for free though =[
apple rocks but there apple care sucks ballz lol

Good luck.

I've never had any issues with Apple care's policies.... just a few jerks that have no clue that work there.

I mean, realistically... no company would make money if they just let people damange the phones and bring them back... but good luck anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.