worst notifications ever

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blahblahblahbla, Dec 17, 2011.

1. blahblahblahbla macrumors newbie

hello,
    i registered today to ask if anyone else is having issues with notifications on the 4s. my mail only updates when i open the app. Facebook notifies me about 20% of the time, most of the time i get the notifications only when i open the app and refresh the page. app store updates only show once I've opened that app and clicked on the update tab. in settings each of these apps are set to "badges, sounds, alerts" in the notification area. this happens both at home while on wifi and on the go while on 3g. i do not manually close the apps after each use, but was told even that shouldn't affect my notifications.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Who's your mail provider?
    I don't think I ever see App Store updates without launching the app.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Notifications have to do with your email provider and facebook for example.
    I get lik 10% of my facebook notifications if Im lucky.
    Its not Apples fault but on the apps servers side.
    And you know Facebook probably gets like a million notification per minute.

4. blahblahblahbla thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick responses. my email provider is gmail. i realize that the apps are not based on apple's servers i.e. Facebook, gmail, etc, just didn't realize there was such a lag. my last smartphone was a blackberry curve almost 4 years ago and Facebook/gmail notified me instantly, just assumed that the same would go with better technology and years of tweaking.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you have gmail setup to push and it doesnt its not the phones fault that your emails are not beeing pushed on time. Go to email settings to make sure everything is configured right.
    And if Facebook doesnt send the notifications to Apple's servers then it will not arrive to you.
    For the appstore updates sometimes I get a little badge when there's an app update sometimes not. Its not that important to notify for the update instantly but up to you if you want to check manually.

6. ardent73 macrumors regular

ardent73

Disappointing

I have similar problems with the app notifications, is it just an iOS5 compatibility issue? And the weather notification is offline about 50% of the time. My first-gen iPhone still gets the app notifications, however... :confused: