Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SplashData today published its annual list of the worst passwords of the year, using data pulled from over five million passwords that were leaked across 2017 by hackers.

Despite many well-publicized major data leaks in 2016 and 2017, many people continue to use weak passwords that are easily guessed. "123456" and "Password," for example, were the two most popular passwords SplashData came across, as they have been for several years running.

worst_passwords_2017.jpg

Other passwords in the top 10 of the worst passwords list included "12345678," "qwerty," "12345," "123456789," "letmein," "1234567," "football," and "iloveyou." "Monkey," "123123," and "starwars" also made the list this year, as new easily guessable passwords people have adopted. Passwords made up of a single word or consecutive number string are dangerous because they're so easy to guess.
"Unfortunately, while the newest episode may be a fantastic addition to the Star Wars franchise, 'starwars' is a dangerous password to use," said Morgan Slain, CEO of SplashData, Inc. "Hackers are using common terms from pop culture and sports to break into accounts online because they know many people are using those easy-to-remember words."
With data breaches from major companies so common, a strong password that consists of multiple random words or multiple numbers, letters, and characters is essential, and it's also important not to use the same password for more than one account.

Safari has built-in password generating features, and passwords can also be stored in the Keychain and accessed on all of your iOS and Mac devices. Password management apps like 1Password, LastPass, or SplashID can also make remembering and managing multiple passwords simple.

SplashData publishes its annual list to encourage people to use stronger passwords. This year, the company's data came primarily from North America and Western Europe, culled from data leaks. Yahoo data and data from adult websites was not included.

In 2017, there were several major data leaks from companies that included Verizon, Saks Fifth Avenue, Deloitte, and Uber, along with a huge Equifax breach that exposed the personal information of millions of people.

Article Link: Worst Passwords of 2017 Include '123456' and 'Password'

Chuck Kostalnick

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Denver, Colorado
It's great to see that people aren't using obvious passwords anymore...

Other passwords in the top 10 of the worst passwords list included "12345678," "qwerty," "12345," "123456789," "letmein," "1234567," "football," and "iloveyou." "Monkey," "123123," and "starwars" also made the list this year

Someone needs to save humanity.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Copy article from last year, paste and update '2016' to '2017'. Same passwords year after year. People that don't take security seriously are unlikely to unless something significant happens that causes them to change their behavior.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
These lists comes out every year.

Why don't the websites themselves incorporate this list into the mechanism that accepts your new password?

A lot of sites have, at minimum, a way to tell you if your password isn't long enough. And some also tell you that you need a number or uppercase letter.

Frankly... I'm not sure I'd wanna do business with a website that allows "123456" as a password. :p

Oh I'm still blaming the user overall... but I think the websites could help fix this terrible habit.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Yup. 1Password is great! Downside I can’t remember any of the assigned passwords so always need 1passport at hand.

I’ve been a 1Password user for many years. Never going back to the days before I had strong, unique passwords for everything.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
This chart seem to date back to the early 90s...

...guessing from the look of it. That explains the weak passwords - no (serious) internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.