Worst Pre-Order Experience Ever?

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I'm so mentally exhausted over trying to spend $1,149 on a phone, it's stupid!

I set my alarm, woke up and preordered at 3:00am. I used the Apple Store App. I successfully completed the order and had a Nov 3 delivery date, then...

I received an email at 3:07am showing my phone order but there was also $350 worth of computer accessories on my order too! Now understand, you cant order anything additional aside from Apple Care during the preorder process.

I received a second email at 3:11am that was a duplicate order with a different web order number! It too had the same $350 worth of accessories attached to the order!

Apple has charged my account $700 in computer accessories which have already shipped so I will need to send them back or drive 1 hour to the Apple store to return them.

Here's the kicker... BOTH OF THE PHONE ORDERS ARE NOW CANCELLED!

I finally got through to Apple on launch day and requested the accessories be cancelled and one of the phones. It was the representative that pointed out that the preorder process does not allow anything else to be added to the order and something went wrong.

The representative cancelled the accessories (I mean put in a request for return because they already processed for shipping) and cancelled one of the phones. Everything looked good when I went online and looked at my order, it showed the one phone cancelled and the other phone processing.

Then I received an email Friday night at 10:57pm stating my other phone has been cancelled (phone support/customer service closes at 11:00pm) and if I had questions, call AT&T. Of course AT&T had no clue why this happened and my account of ten years is perfect and my phone is eligible for upgrade on the Next plan.

So, after two days of fighting to get through to a representative, being told I would receive a call back and never have, I'm out $700 dollars (for now) don't have a phone ordered for Nov 3 and waiting on the accessories I have to return. To think I woke up at 3:00am on a work day to do all this!

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Thats got to be frustrating. Wonder if it was because you ordered 2 phones against the same AT&T Next phone number. Even though you cancelled one. I would not be happy either.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This legit sounds messed up. Some of the other people need to calm down.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
...Now understand, you cant order anything additional aside from Apple Care during the preorder process.
Not sure what you mean? I ordered an Apple silicone case along with Apple Care at the same time during my pre-order process with no issues. Case will arrive around 11/1 and phone 11/17-11/24. Took about 15 minutes of hitting reload/force closing to get the app up.

(But yes I agree the other things ordered and then completely canceled are very wrong!)

FunkyTang

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I want Apple to have a VIP program.

Just send me the largest storage Space Gray SIM Free iPhone and charge it to my card on file.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleWes

AppleWes

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I want Apple to have a VIP program.

Just send me the largest storage Space Gray iPhone and charge it to my card on file.
That would be amazing! Just have the preorder happen automatically at 12:01am to people who agree to it and have CC# on file. Guaranteed orders for Apple and not so many of these issues with millions of website hits at once.

Only issue would be how to determine the "order" of each persons shipment.

Last edited:

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Thats got to be frustrating. Wonder if it was because you ordered 2 phones against the same AT&T Next phone number. Even though you cancelled one. I would not be happy either.
The thing was I only placed one order, the system on its own generated two orders and added a bunch of Mac power adapters, keyboards and a Magic Mouse.

theriotsmith

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I kept getting an error message when ordering. After FINALLY getting through, I have a ship date of Dec 11-18. I could order today and get the same date. Annoyed that I lost sleep.