Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Clever attempt at remote innovation, but what a bad user experience, IMO

Attachments

• IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: CoMoMacUser

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
The AppleTV 4 black remote was the best remote, the new one, thanks to all that whining, is worse.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Those were just terrible. When I got my AppleTV HD's, I set them aside and used the nice, little aluminum remotes from my old AppleTV 3's. I really prefer a "clicker" for a remote, not a touchpad. But, of course, it all comes down to personal preference.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
AppleTV offers an easy ability to "learn" any remote anyone wants to use. Pick up any remote you need for the other equipment, push the AUX or similar button, put AppleTV in learn mode and that remote can make it do everything any Apple remote can do EXCEPT Siri commands. For Siri- if you want that- use either your iDevice or keep the AppleTV remote around to mostly use as a specialized microphone.

Option 2: just about any universal remote many of us probably have to manage a few other devices likely has the relatively simple codes to remote control AppleTV too. So dig up the programming guide and dedicate a device button to AppleTV and program it. Then it can continue trying to be "one remote to rule them all" for all of your A/V equipment.

There have been many gripes about Apple remotes for many years. Either Apple doesn't learn, doesn't listen, doesn't care or thinks- and actually believes- "we know best." We Apple people are not obligated to use only Apple-branded remotes to use AppleTVs. There are a huge number of substitutes that can almost fully scratch that itch.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.