Worst Repair Service - Broken Logic Board Caused by Apple Technician

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Archon Gold, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Archon Gold, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Wow, all I can say is that I am really pissed off.

I noticed a few weeks back that my iMac was having Memory Intrusion Errors. The iMac in question is a 27" Core i3 3.2Ghz, 4Gb, 1Tb.etc machine.

The machine ended up failing the Apple Hardware Test and the code ended up meaning bad memory (according to the Apple Certified Service Technician that I spoke to in person).

It took about a week for them to actually get the new parts in for repair, they ended up replacing the Hard Drive (faulty firmware) and replacing the stock 4Gbs of RAM.

I finally received it this morning so that I could reinstall my apps, backup my data and get to work on my already more delayed project.

Everything seemed fine until upon boot I noticed that the fan was running in full blast mode even when idling.

After reinstalling Snow Leopard and updating it I reran the Apple Hardware Test to make sure that everything was running properly.

Of course it fails when testing the Logic Board (more importantly, the Fan Controller). The computer had no fan issues before I sent it in for repair, the service tech screwed up my motherboard while replacing the hard drive.

To top it off he lied right to my face when I asked if he ran the extended Apple Service testing.

[​IMG]

To compare, this was my previous error that turned out to be the RAM. (Although it looks a lot like a Hard Drive failure code to me)

[​IMG]

And here is the previous Hard Drive's Firmware failing.

[​IMG]

Next, here is the memory intrusion errors.

[​IMG]

And finally, let's top it off with the computer crashing for no reason.

[​IMG]

I'm going to call up both Apple and the centre where I had the machine repaired (Carbon Computing, Authorized Apple Reseller) to demand a new machine. I can't delay my work any longer, it's already months overdue because of many problems.

2. rj86 macrumors member

Oh dear.

'Firmware' is stored on the logic board itself.

For what it's worth, don't pay much attention to the AHT that comes on the discs with machines, it's just to make it easier on phone support people troubleshooting whether something is hardware/software problem. If it fails AHT it definitely isn't the software and all the phone support can say is 'you need to bring it in'. The codes themselves are essentially useless.

I'm a qualified Apple tech and again, for what it's worth, the ASD tests we're provided with are light heartedly known not as 'Apple Service Diagnostics' but 'Ah, Something's Different'.

I hope you manage to get this sorted.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

That's pretty rubbish man, hope you get it sorted.

4. GXPvince macrumors regular

Had a issue with my Liquid cooled G5 not recognizing a HD, they sent Techs over to my house from San Diego (2.5hrs away) to fix it and the first thing they said "I have no clue how to work on these we dont see these very often." Well long story short, they couldn't figure out the problem so Apple sent me a top of the line Mac Pro I still use it everyday. I was satisfied :)

I eventually figured out that that G5 had problems with certain HD's and if I put a different kind of HD in there it would have been fine.

Apple's CS is the best around.

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

6. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I never knew that! :eek:

So, what does the startup "bong" mean? Is there something definable if the sound isn't heard at boot? Or is it just something cute?

To the OP, that sucks. Do post back with what happens, I'm curious to see how Apple handles it.

7. MacHamster68, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

that really s....
    wish you all the best to get it sorted by apple unbureaucratic and quickly
    that so called techy there needs to go to school again i suppose
    and not let loose on poor iMac's again until he learned his trade
    because what he did you could have done yourself too

8. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I don't think it means anything if the sound doesn't happen at boot, because if you press the mute button on your imac and restart, it doesn't make the noise. I think it's just to let you know your mac is coming on. More akin to the Windows startup sound than a bios beep. Having said that if you reset the PRAM you will here the "bong" sound twice, since the PRAM resets the brightness and sound control I guess thats to be expected though.

9. Jexta macrumors member

This is untrue, the "chime" you hear at start up is a signal that the machine has completed its "POST" (Power On Self Test). As the name suggest, the machine runs a quick hardware diagnostic to determine there are no conflicts or errors with critical hardware such as RAM. If you don't hear the chime, then reset the PRAM to ensure your machine isn't simply muted. If the chime still doesn't sound then there is a hardware error.

10. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Carbon Computing? I've had two bad experiences due to either their incompetence and negligence.

The first time I bought an airport express wifi card for my mac pro. I had issues with it, it kept dropping the signal every few minutes. I had them send it back and re-install a new card with the same problems existing. It wasn't until I came to macrumors and opened up my mac pro to see that they completely screwed up the connecting cables, they had them all backwards.

The second time I had asked them to place an order for a messenger bag and a hardshell case. I placed the order IN STORE but I called and left voicemail confirming my order, spoke to a rep later on as well over the phone, as well as sent an email about the order. I did NOT get a call back after my voicemail OR a reply to my email. I was told my items would arrive in about 5-10 days. More than two weeks later I was told my bag would NOT come in and the hardshell case, if I still wanted it would come in the next two days. Come two days later I was told my order was NOT in the system and they didnt have my item.

Theres an apple store opening up in my city. I can't wait because I know that if I walk into an apple store and ask to get something, I'll get proper follow up.

Carbon Computing has been the absolute worst experience i've ever had and the only time i've bitched out a business over the phone to my discontent. I won't be at all sorry when the apple store opens up and swallows their market, incompetence like this doesnt deserve to be in business.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why didn't you go to an Apple Store? Always go to an Apple Store if one is available.

12. smali macrumors regular

I dont see why people praise Apple for their customer service all the time. I have had to take in 2 macs over the last few years and both times they took them in for 2+ weeks. To me this is unacceptable, especially when the macs in question are called "pro".

Look at Dell's "pro" line and check the warranties you can purchase (similar value to Apple in cost) and they do next-day service where they come to your house/office and sort it out. They even sort out any problems with any pro apps you might be having, say Photoshop keeps crashing etc.

To be fair to Apple their consumer product support vs dell's is superior. But then who cares about some chump without his macbook air for a few weeks. When you are reliant on your hardware to put food on the table and said hardware is sold to you as a "professional" tool you expect better service than standing in line with your giant tower in some shop.

Anyways hope you get it sorted:)