Worst time to buy a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macphi, Feb 27, 2008.

1. macphi macrumors newbie

I have a first generation macbook pro and I am really tempted to jump in the wagon and buy a new one!

But I am kind of disappointed that this refresh only brought speed bumps and a new graphic card but no "revolution". Looking at what 2008 could bring, don't you think it might be the worst time to buy a macbook pro right now?

2008 (or Q1 2009) might bring to the macbook pro...
    4 core processors
    redesign
    support for the new DDR3 SDRAM
    blue ray - not that HD DVD is dead
    Solid State Drive (SSD) in a macbook pro?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4cores = too hot in such a small enclosure
    ram = maybe, no idea
    blue ray = if the get the drive thin enough and down in price (at least as a bto option, yes)
    SSD = certainly possible, but again costly and at the price of space

3. novocaine macrumors member

Worst time? So basically you are saying we who just placed the order made a very very very very very very bad and stupid decision. Oh well. The wait will never be over if you enjoy this game.

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

No, the absolute worst would have been those that bought from Apple on Feb. 11th, can't return it even if they wanna! :(

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't agree with the OP at all..
    i bought a refurbished SR MBP yesterday, because the price dropped on these models.. so for me.. who's really not bothered with 1 rev or 2 rev behind... aslong as it does what i want it to do..
    Yesterday was the BEST DAY TO BUY an MBP"for me.:D

6. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Um those are some pretty distant/ambitious tech changes. I think this is a very good time to buy (disclosure: I bought yesterday!).

Progress is certainly slowing down these days after the intel switch, don't think it'll go fast as long as AMD is a no-show. Over the last little while there hasn't been any real computing revolutions, and in all honesty, is there a need for that much more power?

The waiting/timing game for tech is pretty damn hard to win, whether you get the end of a cycle or you're an early adopter. Got burned in hindsight getting the last revision of the ibook g4 before the switch. Wish I did my homework!

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i wonder how often steve upgrades his portable...hmmm

8. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

It is the worst time to buy for you. if you already have a MBP, even if its slower, you still have a computer. For you, its not worth just getting the specs bumped. If i were you i would wait until the major revision, seeing as though you already have a computer now that satisfies your needs.

9. PDE macrumors 68020

I think it's a GREAT time to buy a macbook pro - especially the previous version which is selling cheaply all over the place! I mean, the difference is minimal and the price is MUCH lower than the latest. For those who want the latest, they're a great value and a near-perfect balance of design/size, power and cost.

There will be new ones in the summer, but the best Apple computers to buy are the last revision before a complete new design. They're stable, powerful and have almost none of the problems that plague rev A machines. At least that's been my experience.

10. skiffx macrumors 6502a

What are the specs on your current 1st gen mbp, and also yes if you can hold out for another 9months - 1 year using your current setup until a complete redesign, you should do that, but if your current system isnt enough for your needs already, right now would be a perfect time to buy.

11. LVdustin macrumors regular

I have a first generation MBP, and I have to admit, this is the best time right now to buy a MBP. My MBP has had little distinct bugs and some problems here and there, but all together it's still kicking. But a lot of people overlook the significance of changes from a first gen MBP to that of now.

There is a huge processor change from a 2ghz Intel Core Duo to a 2.5ghz Penryn Intel Core 2 Duo as of now, it's a major difference

They have the LED monitors which has better resolution, and it's brighter and just better

New Wireless card that supports N

Firewire 800

a new multi-touchpad

higher isight resolution

Dual-layer disc drive

Smaller power adapter.

Standard 2GB of RAM

and many more...

I mean these may be small things, but it's a big big difference to me, and that clearly designates a upgrade for me right now.

Overall, I am a filmmaker, and I use Final Cut Studio 2 constantly, and this just makes it more fluent for me to do my work.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

It depends on how you look at things. This summer we will see the MBP redesign, no doubt about it. Montevina too, DDR3, WiMax etc. So if you buy now, in 5 months time a redesign will be here, how will you feel then?

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I think I'd be happier with a perfectly stable, glitch-free machine than with the state of the art new machine with rev A issues that need to be fixed by sending in my computer to Apple all the time. But that's me.

14. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I agree, that price drop (2499 - 1700? I don't see it up there any more, are they gone?) was crazy insane... without a re-design, I think it would have made great sense to pick up one of those. One question I had - were those with LED screens?

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I don't agree with the OP either. The problem with the OP is that he is looking for an excuse to buy a new MBP. The current machine he has is more than capable for a few more years. People that have an older PowerPC Mac would see the new MBP's as a huge upgrade. I think the OP needs to learn to appreciate what he currently has for now and allow it to show it's age and stop the greediness of wanting the latest and greatest. Many people think the new MBP's are great releases.

16. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

YES! they have LED screen.. it's the SR MBP

17. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

my thoughts exactly...
    and why? o why? are there members bursting the bubble of people like me who purchased the MBP this week... by starting thread.. waiting for the Montevina? new design blah blah?
    is it hard... HARD... HARD for anyone to be HAPPY for others who are enjoying the fruits of there 8-9 months wait? well some have years of waiting.:confused:

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

LOL i love how you all talk about REV A or REV 1 etc etc. Do you not understand that it is a never ending cycle? The Santa Rosa Chipset is the Santa Rosa Chipset, there is no rev 1 2 or 3. Same with Montevina... I guess I just don't understand the logic.

19. PDE macrumors 68020

It's not about the CPU, it's about the internal and external design. Swapping out a newer CPU on the logic board doesn't count. Every single Apple computer I've had and seen have had rev A issues and they were fixed with the next smaller updates: overheating, white spots on the LCD, cracking plastic, grainy displays etc etc

Products go through phases of development and improvement and Apple's stuff is no different. The next major design change will bring with it new problems that we don't have now - I'll bet you anything on that. The most recent machines are refined and most design issues have been addressed except for perhaps component quality control issues.

20. duykur macrumors regular

even if you wait for montevina, or an ssd or even a 9600m those will only bring so much to the plate,
    montevia 5-6%, 10% max
    ssd 5,10 seconds faster boot times
    9600m is the 8600m on a smaller die

21. scott9s macrumors member

Wow- Great Question. Worst time? I think it depends on your need. if you one now, then get one. if not, then don't.

I have to say Steve Jobs is so excited about the product lines. I have to imagine that every Tuesday in 2008 will have a product update. So, Can we expect a new design MBP in 2008. Probably.

Yet, I need a laptop now. So, buying now is a good time.