Worth a replacement iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iHarrison, Jun 21, 2009.

1. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

wondering if the two things I'm noticing on my phone are big enough to get a new iPhone?

1) the screen on my phone seems "sunk in" on the left side and the silver trim on the edge of the screen rubs up against my fingers. Best way I can describe it is this: take your thumb and place it in the center of your iPhone 3gs screen...now run it off the edge to the left and notice how it smoothly slides across with no hangups or edges...now do the same thing moving your thumb to the right this time and instead of a smooth slide, it gets caught on the sharp edge of the silver trim. The screen seems sunk on the right side or something...

2) my vibrate/ring knob is loose...almost like a loose tooth where when it is put in the vibrate position it wiggles when touched. It will wiggle and jiggle around and even makes a noise when I shake my phone it's so loose!?

My friend's iPhone 3GS has neither of these issues it appears and so it makes me a bit frustrated with mine and jealous of his! :confused:

Apple going to just laugh at me and say they can't replace it for minor things like this? Or is there a chance they'd replace it?

Thanks!
    iHarrison

2. donalwho macrumors newbie

Multiple manufacturing defects accepted by apple on the 3Gs

I just went to my apple store with 3 complaints.
    The metal Bezel was cutting my ear due to the screen being sunk in too low. (accepted).
    The plastic running down the Left hand side was not flush with the metal. (accepted).
    The Mute button was loose. (Not accepted. Apparently it's a feature improvement).

So I will get a replacement phone in a few days. Funny thing is.. Every iphone 3GS 32G in the store (and there were many) had the same issues.

This is going to be really fun for apple. I can see a complete recall of all new iPhones coming up..

3. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

I know! All the 32gb 3gs phones were funky with the screen sunk in at my apple store as well. The genius that cxhexke my phone even said that he and the other genius' at the store had the same thing...I don't think we should just have to settle for a defect in manufacturing like that...specially at a $300 price tag!?

I'm praying for a recall and a nice corrxtly made phone!

4. andyvp macrumors member

+1 for me. My Black 32gb has the same sunken screen on the right side. Very annoying since this is the point you drag to when you unlock it.

5. iHarrison thread starter macrumors regular

iHarrison

you would think Apple would've done something or at least addressed this issue....

very dissapointed with Apple and the new iPhone 3GS...this sounds like such a widespread and noticeable issue...

6. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

wth?

Honestly, this seems to be nitpicking. Minor complaints like these hurt all the consumers in the end. A high return rate only forces Apple and AT&T to hike up the prices due to the rising costs.

My mute button is "loose" too. Does it annoy me? No, because it isn't broken. If it falls off, then I'll complain.

I have a white 16 GB 3GS and my screen or bezel always seems a bit raised on the right side. It isn't smooth like the left. You can't even notice it with your eyes, ONLY if you run your fingers along both sides. What's the big deal? I don't understand it.

7. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I wouldn't worry about the increased cost of returns. The VAST majority of consumers wouldn't give many of the issues we wrangle over a second thought. I've been out with friends tonight and showed them the yellow gradient of my screen. They think I'm truely insane....

8. donalwho macrumors newbie

Nitpicking. Thankfully you don't work at my local Genius bar! The raised metal rim is like a razor blade against the ear. And thankfully all the Geniuses also perceived it so. This build quality is sub-par and the consumer has every right to complain and in the end apple will be better off for it. Otherwise it's a slippery slope to becoming the next Dell. There is a premium with all apple products. With that premium comes products that are so close to perfection that they are worth every cent. But it's a fine balance. These issues are simply a result of very sloppy quality control. Or no quality control at all.

9. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Are you mad? These phones are made in China. LOL. Apple isn't a "premium" product anymore than Dell or Gateway is a "premium" product. It's a completely manufactured mindset that Apple has brainwashed their fanboys with. And as such, they're able to charge the "premium" prices for a subpar product.

One needn't look any further than their laptops. Their Macbook Pro's are LITERALLY almost 300% the cost of a Windows laptop of the same - if not greater specs.

I'm not saying your phone wasn't cutting your ear, or didn't deserve a replacement. But some people take it WAY too far.