Worth buying a 27" iMac Quad Overseas?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Matsta, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Matsta macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So yea I'm getting rid of my one week old U2410 for a new 27" iMac. Partly cause my 2ghz unibody Macbook craps out when doing A3 300dpi res stuff in photoshop.

Hence I think a Core i7 chip will power through :)

So anyhow, I live in New Zealand and back at the start of the year when the recession was still in full boar, Apple's prices where damm cheap. However the bounced them up around March and have not taken them down since. So to buy a 27" iMac Core i7 is going to cost me $3800NZ :O

However I can buy it from the States for $2200US I believe. See the price difference? It's about $900NZ cheaper to buy it from States which sounds like a very nice discount.

I use a place in CA that puts whatever you send them on a ship and brings it back to NZ for $100 or so, which means I'm still going to get a $700-800 discount on my iMac.

Now my only issue is that, I'm seeing that there has been lots of issues with the 27". Now from what I believe, the Apple warranty is worldwide, so I can get it replaced in NZ for whatever reason, or I can just got buy an AppleCare subscription and use that instead and still save money :)

So could you please tell me what my best option would be. All help is appreciated ;)

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

don't forget you'll be adding taxes of various sorts to that $2,200, starting with state sales tax here in the USA, any New Zealand import duties you might have to pay, and any thing like VAT in New Zealand