Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Hello all,

I apologise in advance for re-hashing this -- I've seen similar threads, but not too clear on what the Forum's views are on necromancing, or piggy-backing on someone else's thread... :confused:

I have the option of buying a 2TB MDO32LL/A Time Capsule for about $200.

I currently have a Asus DSL-N55U router, that I purchased close-on two years ago. It works well, and has good range (we have a double storied house that is quite spread out...).

In-house we have:
1x Mid-2012 MBP
1x iPhone 5S
1x iPhone 5
1x iPad Air
1 x iPad 1
2 x iPad Mini (original)
1x Dell Windows 8 laptop (the wife's)....

Buying the Time Capsule will allow for seamless backups through TM, which is a nice-to-have, but not a must-have?

I say that simply due to my using CCC and an 1TB external (that is plugged in regularly), together with a different 1TB external at work, using TM, that it also plugged in regularly -- surely doing as good a job of it... :)

I gather from some of the other threads that I could plug the TC into the back of my router, and switch off its WIFI (it has a button on the back for that) - which will presumably (and hopefully, automatically) put the TC into bridge-mode(??) - and this will then have all devices connect to the TC (without my having to do too much more) - turning the Asus into a simple modem?? Is that correct - I'm not really clued up on these things...

If so - would there be a benefit to some of the iOS devices, in having access to the 2TB of storage?

By this I mean -- whereas my wife's iPad Mini, and my iPad Air, sync to our respective iTunes libraries on our respective laptops - my daughter's 16GB iPad Mini only relies on the Cloud... Would she be able to "back-up" to the 2TB in the TC?

Is it fairly straight forward to get Windows' machines talking to the TC as well?

I guess what all of the above boils down to, is that considering I already have a capable Modem/Router, and a fairly robust back-up regime - is there any real benefit to be had by throwing a TC into the mix?

Would really appreciate some feedback and opinions!

Many thanks!

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Not a direct answer to your question, but I have both Mac and windows machines on my home network and was recently thinking about getting a new time capsule. I ultimately bought a synology NAS instead and am thrilled with the decision. Infinitely more options and my network throughput is over twice as fast to the synology (over 100 MB/s) as it would be to a time capsule.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Not a direct answer to your question, but I have both Mac and windows machines on my home network and was recently thinking about getting a new time capsule. I ultimately bought a synology NAS instead and am thrilled with the decisionh. Infinitely more options and my network throughput is over twice as fast to the synology (over 100 MB/s) as it would be to a time capsule.

Thanks... I guess if I cannot (mentally) justify purchasing a NAS system, then why should the TC be any different... Was just hoping to confirm if there might be any other benefits to using a TC over that of any other possible solution...

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
The only benefit to the TC is the automatic wireless backup. It is a terrible NAS.

The new 802.11ac extreme has support for time machine on an external usb drive, which might be the way to go since it's more future proof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.