Worth Buying An iMac G5 On The Cheap?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Goftrey, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'm eyeing up a 1.8ghz iMac G5 (fully working, believe it or not) on eBay, and as it has been placed in the wrong category & misspelt, no-one has managed to find it...

Is it worth buying one dirt cheap to muck around with? If they're still fully working now, are they likely to develop one of the many infamous fault going in the future?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes. I'd pass unless it's cheap enough you can buy it and resell at a profit.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If you're just looking to mess around with it and have the spare cash to blow, I'd go for it, especially if you can find a use for it. I sure would. :D

As for the capacitor issues, you just never know. There's plenty of white iBook G3's in perfect working condition still out there, even with the plethora of that models' issues. If it's still going strong at this point, it might be one of the lucky ones.

4. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

It depends, are you aware of the limitations, right? Like not HD youtube or lack of flash support?

I mean there are work around but you have to be aware of what you have to do to get the full out of it.

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

He's been an owner of a DP1.8 G5 for quite some time.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because you already have a PowerMac G5, I suggest you pass on it and get that Mac Pro you were saving up for.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I had a first edition 1.8 G5 Imac and it sounded like a vacuum cleaners once warmed up...if you google,you will see i wasn't alone.

Then again if price is cheap enough where you can turn a profit after you've done playing. :cool:

8. wobegong Guest

As i said elsewhere recently on another post my move from a MDD to a G5 1.8 iMac was the worst "upgrade" I made, was in fact slower in every way.

If you feel you need an all in one and it's dirt cheap why not, you can always sell it on - otherwise I'd advise against.

9. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

don't buy it I can not tell you enough how much I hate those thing

one time at our school the power went out and 43 imac g5s psus blewout simotanously

10. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Just bought it. I couldn't resist - the price was just too good (£40/$60). I'll have a play around with it, check what sort of condition the insides are like I'll probably just sell it on for a (pretty much) guaranteed profit (which will help a ton in terms of raising money for the Pro).

...Or I could fall in love with it & decide to keep it :p

Thanks for the replies guys (& girls ;) )

11. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I watch 1080p utube on a G4 powerbook! You just need to download the videos with mactubes.

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

hope we get a video...follow your utube powerpc channel...always lots of good info.

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I recommend you one thing then: disassemble it completely, clean fans, replace thermal paste on CPU, GPU and northbridge (use high quality one). It will pay off. iMac will run cooler and quieter. Get yourself a Service Manual.

14. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

If all goes well - there will absolutely be at least one video on it. Really nice to know a couple people in this community watch my videos too. Really means a lot :)

----------

Absolutely. Got a few tubes of Arctic Silver 5 lying around. Even if it's immaculate, I'll be once overing every single last component. Thanks.

----------

As I said earlier, I'll more than likely be selling it on for a profit so it's a win wn situation regardless.

15. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

So did you did you get it? You signature says you have an intel imac. I had a G5 about 2 months ago but it had a failing graphics card so watch out for that as I didn't notice until after a few hours of using it so it had to go back I was quite upset as I really liked it.

16. Goftrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I bought the iMac in my sig. over the quad G5

I'm still receiving the iMac G5, it'll just be put back on eBay instantly as there really is now no point in even considering keeping it.

17. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I bought an iMac G5 today for £150, literally looks mint condition, spec in my sig. Came with wireless mighty mouse and wired keyboard, plus the little remote.

Best £150 I've ever spent.

18. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I bought one for $65 with shipping incl. Hope it's a good deal! Needs a fix, hopefully something that doesn't need a new motherboard or something.