Worth buying iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gadget123, Sep 30, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I had to drop to a 16gb iphone 5S due to the price increas. Pro's for getting an iPod touch:

*Always run out of battery on my iphone with 3G.

*Even my 32GB would run out of space as I like to store photos and music on my device.

*I could use it as a MP3 player.

Downside:

I do own an ipad already.

What should I do? Is there anymore pro's?

2. defunct32 macrumors regular

Light in weight, portability and like you have said you can use the iPod as a music player and save on battery for your phone.

3. koolmagicguy macrumors 6502

koolmagicguy

Go for it. It's cheaper, contract free, almost exactly like an iPhone without the phone. I wish I could afford an iPhone but my iPod touch 5th gen meets my needs. :D

4. calvol macrumors 6502a

I just bought a refurb Touch5, going to try it for light reading and music, and will be upgrading my iPad2 for iPad5.

Would get the iP5s, but don't like the 2-yr contract w/ data plan. With ATT, that's minimum $80/mo right? Right now using a Nokia N9 on T-Mo prepaid at $50/mo, that's a sweet phone.

So I'll have:
    Touch5 for light reading, music
    iPad5 for heavy reading, browsing
    2010 13 Air for work

How does this lineup sound? Anyone think I should get the iPad Mini and do away with the iPad5 and Touch?

5. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

iPod touch 5 will clash with iPad 5 in some aspects, I suggest you get a phone if you're going to do this line up. The iPhone 4S or 5c is okay and it would have a better usage value.

iPhone 5c for light reading, music AND phone.
    iPad 5 for heavy reading, browsing
    MacBook for work

6. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

asking the op, what is your current gen iphone? If its a 4/4s, why not buy iphone 5c 32GB, save yourself from carrying 2 devices around.

Unless the price of Iphone 5S 16gb + 16gb ipod touch is lower than 32GB 5s then it could be a good buy. But you already owned an Ipad... i dont know because i rarely have time to use my Ipad 2. Spend most my time at work with my iphone and at home with PC. Resale value is not worth the effort and i am also consider getting ipod touch to save my phone battery too.

But that since i own iphone 4, if im getting a 5C then i wouldn't get an ipod touch.

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Dropping from a 32GB Iphone 5 to a 16GB Iphone 5S.

The 32GB Ipod and Iphone could give me about 48GB storage. Another thing I use the camcorder so if I had a 32GB I could record but I'd need the 5S for slow motion video.

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

I've thought about giving up on my all time favorite, the classic, for a touch 5G.

Then I went to the Apple store and played with the touch and realized how much I hate the fact that it's a jack of all trades rather than a purpose built music device, but more than that I hate how iOS devices become laggy and then obsolete due to software. The classic software has topped out, and is no longer being updated so the device can be enjoyed as is until the day it dies. With the touch, eventually it won't run the latest OS and you'll be stuck with an old OS that will feel outdated.

9. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

market for sole purpose music device has died for quite few years already. Beside Ipod, only sansa clip can still sell because its cheaper than sushi dinner. I dont think apple will continue the ipod classic and ipod touch produce terrible sound. Maybe u should keep your rare item.

10. calvol macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the comments... I think I'll pass on the Touch, found out the 16GB doesn't have rear camera, but it was a good deal, $149 Walmart refurb. I'll look at the 5C, and hope the iPad5 comes out this month...

11. Gandalf theGrey macrumors newbie

I personally think iTouch is the perfect size for on transit entertainment(like when you don't get a sit). Palm size and put in my jacket pocket right away when you need to jump off subway/train. Even for games/videos/ebooks is perfect(unless you are long sighted and have chubby fingers :p).

Also prefer to separate it from phone calls/usages(when either one of them have problems/out of battery doesn't mean the other was out either)

12. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I got the 32GB slate black one a few reasons:

*5MP camera is good even takes some better pics under certain conditions than the 8MP one. Ipad 5 might get a camera update so that's why I got the Ipod too.

*Slate black still say it's nicer than space grey.

*32GB of space + 16GB is quite a bit of space. Means if I ever go to sell my iphone next year I can do so earlier and use the Ipod touch as a phone.

*Sometimes I leave the house with a half charged Iphone due to time..so I can carry both to save battery.

All be it I don't need two devices it's definitely a luxury. A 64GB iphone is £709 UK price so yes I maybe spent an extra £50-£60 getting the Ipod but it's not much difference. I find when I resell iphones people don't seem to care about GB if the phone is good condition + unlocked this ads £50 more and the GB difference you can pick up second hand Iphones 32GB for not much more than a 16GB.

So yes it's a luxury will see over time how much I need it. It's not like I need to buy a new Ipod every year.

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I have a 64GB iPod touch (refurb) and an Nexus 4, best of both world IMHO.

14. Saltymac macrumors member

The Touch is ok but sounds as if a $100 more needed for the extra 16 gb of 5S was going to be a stretch for you. I recommend you get a mini ipad - better investment in the long run. I think you will find you can sell your iPad in a few weeks after you start to use the mini.

15. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

Selling an iPhone 5 bad ESN for use as Ipod touch. Way better specs 32GB sprint.

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

That's why it's cheaper….no free lunch!