Worth buying Logitech X-540 5.1 system for 2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KeNJii, Jan 16, 2011.

1. KeNJii macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am looking into buying this sound system.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-X-540-Multimedia-Speaker-System/dp/B000LBHFMO

I am aware that I'm going to need an external sound card (I think?) in order to use this. What do you guys recommend I do?

This system also has a matrix option. It simulates the 5.1 if you don't have the output required apparently. Do you think it would be worth it if I can't fully utilize the sound system?

What do you guys recommend? I really want this, but I need something that will let me plug it all in. Thank you.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not sure if I'd get that. That will require a USB sound card to handle, and a decent one isn't particularly cheap. It might be easier to find a system that uses usb audio or optical audio, as you could just plug it into the usb port or use the optical feature of the headphone jack.

3. KeNJii thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I found one on Amazon, and someone said they got it running with their Macbook Pro, but they were running Windows on it not OS X. It was this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1A3AMBKSMF8B9TW6KSX9

The reviewer said it worked very well, and the price is fine to me. But its a question of getting it to run with OS X, I have no way of telling of it will work and I don't want to risk buying it.

Could you show me one that you know works with OS X? Or do you not know of any?

Thank you

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I haven't used any, so I'm really not sure which ones work

5. mulo, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I bought a z-5450, their kinda rare but i absolutely love this system. i got mine for $300 back when there were new. I would absolutely recommend this system!
    Right now I'm playing Marchin On by one republic averaging at 97db, with very little sound distortion. (if your unfamiliar with the decibel scale its so loud the liquid in my eyes vibrates preventing me from focusing :p this is witht he volume set at 40% and itunes maxed)

there is one on ebay right now for $250 http://cgi.ebay.com/Logitech-Z-5450..._Subwoofers&hash=item27b7fde9be#ht_704wt_1071

6. KeNJii thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to say that looks absolutely awesome. Although my price range was around max £100. So I'm gonna have to cut that out of the equation, even though that looks like the best option haha.

How do you connect it to your Macbook Pro? Or does it not as many inputs due to the rear speakers being wireless?

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i use optical out, directly from the MBP, i also have analogue input from my desktop.

i'm sorry to hear its out of your price range. when i bought mine 4 years ago i spent about 70% of the cash i had at hand, by now i have come to realize it was totally worth it.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You will need an external soundcard that outputs 5.1 channel audio. I've heard the matrix mode and I wouldn't think of it as a substitute for actual surround sound for somebody who was actually looking for the real deal. I'm more of a stereo guy so for it would be a nice novelty.

I don't think there are any external soundcards which will do what you need for a price equivalent to these speakers. How about spend a bit more for a better speaker set which excepts the MBP's optical output and does the decoding itself? I believe the higher end logitechs have them. Might want to make sure it's compatible though.