Worth buying MB (prev gen) for $700?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beerbum, Oct 20, 2008.

1. beerbum macrumors newbie

Can i get your opinion, is it worth paying $700 for a new previous generation MB (base model) or putting that toward a new MB? This would be my first apple laptop. Thanks.

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

personally i would save and get a current gen. Thats just me.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Well, considering that the Penryn MB base model (2.1) is still being sold for $999 with the only change being that it includes a superdrive instead of a combo... $700 seems to be a good price. Refurbs go for $899 so $700 isn't bad at all I dont think.

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

If you game (even mildly) you should save up for a GlassBook.

5. TyloBedo macrumors member

absolutly! i bought my macbook for $700 yesterday used and its in ner perfect condition. I also go it with 2 years of apple care left iwork 08 and ms office 08.

6. mdrei macrumors newbie

my $0.02...

I just faced the same dilemma and here's my feedback on what lead me to my final decision...buying a white MB (prev gen).

First, I am not using my laptop for video editing nor am I a 'gamer'. So, accelerated video processing, while nice, probably won't be that noticable to me. I primarily use a laptop to surf the web, email, store/view pics and store/listen to mp3s. I use it several hours a day so reliability and

Things that I thought would be nice were: aluminum case, backlit keyboard, bigger memory/HD and a nice display. When I realized that the newer baseline MB (cheaper) came with 2.0GHz CPU and did not have a backlit keyboard my initial infatuation started to wear off. A few bonuses could be had with the other model but I started second guessing the value of that $300 premium.

I was buying my laptop from Amazon where older (prev gen) Apples were eligible for rebates (from $75-$150, depending on the model). So, factoring in the now reduced price for the prev. gen. model and incl the rebate the price differential between old and new became significant. The baseline (white) MB with 2.1GHz, 1MB RAM, 120G HD could be had for $869...that's new! An aluminum 2.4GHz MB would be nearly twice that price.

If I wanted to beef up this 'old' model, for about $200 (maybe less) I could upgrade to 4GB RAM and 320GB HD (via NewEgg, for example) and still save myself $100s.

Sure, the newer models are better, aluminum is better, 1067 front end bus is better, DD3 RAM is better and the newer display is probably better. But, for me, it wasn't $500+ better. I applied the law of diminishing returns and the decision was easy.

Good luck.

7. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Where did you find one for $700? My friend is in the market for a new old macbook.

8. Adamo macrumors 6502

Regardless of no Firewire, the price alone is reason enough to get a BlackBook or WhiteBook over the AluBook. Performance is extremely similar so go for the previous generation!

9. 8theapple macrumors regular

Performance is part of the equation.

You also have to look at other factors, mainly the new manufacturing process. Aluminium unibody construction, more efficient trackpad and led screen. I believe the price premium is valid for just those three elements alone.

Don't forget other small details such as:
    -Battery indicator now on the SIDE of the notebook rather than underneath
    -Screen can now tilt 10-15 degrees further back
    -Slightly lighter weight (not that big of a deal)

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Performance wise the new 2.4 is just 4% better than the previous 2.4. The previous 2.4 beats the new 2.0 by about 20% according to benchmark tests. http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-and-macbook-pro-performance-october-2008/

Battery indicator in all honesty is not a big deal. Screen tilts fine for most on the last gen.. Weight as you said is not a big deal. Trackpad is better now and so is the screen and graphics. The unibody is nice. Looks wise it is up to the person. I hate the black with the aluminum. Personal preference.

OP if the one you are looking at is in good condition it is a excellent deal and well worth the price. You can play some games on it. I have played Spore fine on my black Macbook. Great? No, but most people shouldn't be buying a Macbook (old or new) for gaming. Either one isn't great for that (yes the new one is much better, but still not great). Buy a gaming system, the Macbook Pro, or PC if you want great gaming.

Whatever decision you make you will get a nice computer.

11. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

If you don't mind getting a used one, go for it. You can also go on craigslist to find some used or new ones. If money is an issue, go for the one you are looking at now.

12. beerbum thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies. My boss actually has a friend who works for apple and said that he can sell them for no lower than $700, so that is how i would get the white macbook new. I wont be doing any gaming or serious editing on it, just some small home videos. The battery indicator is nice on the side but i dont mind turning it over on its back to check. The screen tilt seems fine to me with the white and blackbooks and weight is not a big issue. I guess i really just wanted the new one because its new and i was intrigued most by the clickable trackpad. But after hearing everyones opinions i think i might go with the white macbook. How exciting, i might soon be a mac owner! Thank you everyone.

13. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I got a Santa Rosa 2GHz MacBook back in April and i've loved it to death. It's been the best computer I've had so far, and when once the RAM was upgraded to 4GB, it flied! The only negative I have seen is the slightly poor construction of the laptop itself... the lid wiggles when closed, the palm rest material is cracked in the corner on mine. Wouldn't want to drop it...

If you're the kind of person who does internet, e-mail, webchatting, iPhoto and even some iMovie, you'll be fine. If you want to do gaming of any kind, I suggest getting the new aluminum model. Since you don't, the WhiteBook is perfect. For $700, it's amazing. I'd snatch it up quickly. Good luck!

14. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I have a glassbook 2.4, and my wife has a whitebook 2.4 about 2weeks old, and I got my glass home and ran some programs and video editing sid by side, and there was abolutely no difference, I was disappointed. I thought mine would be just a hair faster, but nope. I don't game, so I can't test the video performance. Just something to think about. I would definetly get the blackbook for the better price, if you can.

15. timestoby macrumors 6502

well im waiting for my first mac ever and thats the whitebook. the new ones are to expensive for intergrated graphics.