Worth Buying the AppleCare Protection Plan?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Plonk, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Plonk macrumors newbie

Plonk

Im buying my teen a gen 4 as an early xmas pressie. No way will I be able to keep this a secret and its just plan cruel to do so too. LoL
    Anyway is it worth buying the protection plan? Does this plan cover the ipod touch from screen breakage and other things that may happen?

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Welcome to the forums! For future reference, it's a good idea to avoid posting in a color other than black - it tends to be much harder on the eyes. (Also, not to nitpick, but Comic Sans tends to get ... negative responses too ;) Just a friendly tip! )

From the Applecare Terms and Conditions, available here:
    http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.3.pdf

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
    (ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;
    (iv) Problems caused by a device that is not the Covered Equipment, including equipment that is not Apple-branded, whether or not purchased at the same time as the Covered Equipment;
    (viii) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports;
    (ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;

The above sections cover accidental damage, including damage from non-Apple accessories.

3. Plonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Plonk

Hmmm hehe thanx for the posting tip. I will make sure not to colour post post again, Ill keep it nice and simple.:)

Also thank-you for the terms of the cover. I think I might give it a miss. I will just add the ipod touch to my insurance.

4. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Extended warranty + accidents

SquareTrade

5. dhlee528 macrumors member

I got this too!

6. Plonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Plonk

7. ct95 macrumors regular

If you buy with a credit card, often times they extend your warranty by one year as an added benefit. So effectively you have two year warranty at no extra charge (one year from Apple, one year from the credit card company). Given that, AppleCare seems not worth it for just one additional year.

The accidental damage feature from Square Trade looks very attractive, however.

8. Plonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Plonk

Damn this would be great if they sold to Australians.

9. NickkyJ macrumors regular

go on ebay and look for apple care its much cheaper.