Worth buying used?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ecutsor, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ecutsor macrumors newbie

I have the opportunity to buy a used MacBook today but I'm not a 100% sure on if it's worth it. This would be my first mac so I'm looking for a little advice.

The MacBook specs are:
    Intel Core Duo 1.83ghz
    1gb DDR2 Ram
    60gb HD

Everything is in good condition. I would want to upgrade the Hard Drive and Ram later down the road. Is it worth purchasing for $400? Or should I wait a couple months until I have the money to just buy a brand new MacBook myself? I'm a student and would mostly be using the MacBook for word processing, surfing the web, emails, and fooling around in Garage Band and Photoshop occasionally.

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Wait a little longer. That's Core Duo which is 32-bit, meaning that future OSs may not work in it plus it can only take 2GB of RAM. I'm sure you can find a better deal on used MB.

Also, there is MacBook for 759$ in refurb store. Comes with 1-year warranty and is basically a brand new unit

http://www.refurb.me/index.php

3. ecutsor thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thank you very much for the advice. I was thinking the same thing, I just needed to hear it from someone else. I'm just excited to finally get a Macbook and be on a great operating system and away from windows.

Can you get AppleCare on a refurbished MacBook?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course you can :)

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Smart move to wait! That macbook you were looking at is in no way worth $400.

6. kwood72 macrumors newbie

I purchased a refurb MacBook for $759.00 back in July, and it's fantastic. Go for it!

7. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I would go for that deal my friend bought one similar to that a few months ago paid just over 800

8. silby101 macrumors member

9. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I bought mine off eBay for $540 earlier this year (specs in my sig line). MacBooks of a similar pedigree were going for between $800-900 at the time, from sites selling used/refurbs.

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I know of a 2.16ghz 1gb ram 120gb hd mid 2007 macbook for sale for 420 plus shipping its a far better deal than the one your looking at.