Worth buying?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tayfelix, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Tayfelix macrumors newbie

Hey guys.
    I'm new to Mac and I recently saw a powermac g5. I know the limitation of PowerPC, but I'm going to use it for leisure and some editing. Do u think it is worth buying? These are the specs

Powermac 7,2
    1.8ghz single PowerPC g5
    2gb ram
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (not sure with the VRAM )
    A 160gb HDD
    A fresh copy of leopard and iLife installed.
    And he's throwing in (giving me ) a apple studio display 17inch, apple pro keyboard . And no mouse. And it cost About US$295 and if I add the pro mouse, it cost about US$ 342 . Is it worth it?

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

3. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

Cannot bid

Hey, I cannot join bids like this in eBay. Because I live in Asia (Singapore) and they only ship in the us. And the powermac I found is the only shop that sell PowerPC macs .

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have that exact model.

It depends on what kind of editing. I'd agree that's a lot of money for such an old machine. Even an Intel Mac Mini from 2006 at that price is a better deal. Those machines are nearing 10 years old now and while still useful, they're nearing 3 major OS releases behind. If you're new to OS X, I wouldn't recommend a PowerPC machine at this point because you're going through hoops to get it to do what you want and you miss out on a lot of the new software.

5. Ariii, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I think that's a pretty good deal. If he wasn't also selling you the Apple Cinema Display, I'd say no. And if you don't have to pay for shipping, that's a lot better. That looks a little bit lower spec'd though, you might want to get one with 2 GHz or over, and you could get it for about the same price. If you're getting it from a local dealer, it would be worth it just to save shipping. 1.8 GHz is around what most notebooks have, and 2 GB RAM is enough for most people. It could very well be a main machine, especially with the newer OS. Desktops are usually higher than that (Unless it's a net-top) but it would probably be fine as a main machine. You might have a lot of compatibility issues to deal with though. You can usually find most of those for a lot cheaper though. And a pro mouse for $50? If you buy that, you might want a cheaper mouse. If you're fine with those specs, you would probably want a 17" 1.6 GHz PowerBook G4, and the screen size is the same as with the Apple Cinema display. It might be cheaper as well. Here's what the G4 gets on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-Power...catid=529&_pcategid=58058&_dmpt=Apple_Laptops

6. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I'm buying from a local store . And that is the only store I found selling PowerPC macs. Because Im on a tight budget and subsituting my old home/parents 2005 poop windows pc.

There is a 2.5ghz but it is out of stock and the 2.0ghz dual processor didn't arrive or wasnt ship to the store yet. And I'm going to buy It this Tuesday. As i have no time, I have no choice but to buy the 1.8ghz model. And I'm using it for final cut and iMovie and watching YouTube video using mac tube. And I maybe changing to a intel Mac pro or iMac if my parents have money to spare me which they always buy a new computer every 4-5 years. :/

----------

I know, but they don't sell Mac mini. :/

----------

And guys. I have no USB mouse nor keyboard. So I have no choice but to buy from the local store straight away. And there is a PowerBook and its way more expensive and less ram and stuffs and i don carry computer around. I cope with my iPod touch and my window phone .

7. Liquinn Suspended

How much is a used APPLE MAC G5 POWERMAC 2.0GHZ 160GB 5.5GB RAM
    with a Mac Pro box worth? This may help the OP as well.

8. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh? What do u mean? A powermac g5 in a Mac pro box? I doubt it's possible that people will sell it :-/

9. Liquinn Suspended

Yes, there's one on ebay that I bidded on; how much is that particular Mac worth?

10. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! Sadly I can't pay shipping fees even if I could buy from eBay. The shipping fees are more expensive than the product it self. As I live to far..

11. Liquinn Suspended

I bidded £20 for a dual 2.0 G5. I'm not sure if this a good price but I do get a box. Hmmmm... £200 seems about right for the PPC Mac I'm getting?

Any luck on your PPC mac purchase? ;p

12. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

Er? Are u asking me? Sry I'm very blur as its very late now. Well in my country:) if you are asking me. Well I don bid. I go to the local store. It's so expensive the people say above me! It cost around 220£ . Quite expensive though.

And what's the link for the bid u are bidding? :D

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I would pass. Single G5s are a mess, don't do it. They are useless

Dual 1.8gzh, Dual 2.0gzh. Can be had for about the same price, and they are MUCH faster. Hell for that price you can almost get a quad 2.5 or dual 2.7.

Best money ratio? Whatever my first G5 is, its a dual 1.8gz G5 with 8gb of ram, I paid 250 dollars for it. Threw in a good video card for another 100 bucks.

That deal your looking at is NOT worth it.

14. Liquinn Suspended

Is a dual 2.0ghz Powermac G5 worth it for £220 from ebay including shipping? It comes with the box too? Cheers

15. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.usedmacshop.com/index.html this is the webste I found the deal. Haizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the dual 2.0ghz I wanted is not coming /no stock and I have no more time to wait. Is it still ok /powerful for iLife and some final cut? Note the website shows price that are in SGD (Singapore dollars)

16. Liquinn Suspended

I just won an ebay bid for a 2.0 dual Powermac G5... £220 seems a bit much. But he does provide the box..

17. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahah why do u care about the box? o_O just the powermac only? Whew at least mine came with a apple studio display and a keyboard :p but for ur dual processor it's worth it. Too bad the shop I buying from doesn't have the stocks for the dual 2.0ghz yet...

18. Liquinn Suspended

I'm not sure that £200 is a good deal for a Powermac G5. I'm not sure if I'm getting a good deal here :(

19. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the email he sent to me about the reason why the 2.0ghz I wanted will be out of stock and the offer he give me.

"We throwing 17" display with any purchase of the 1.6 and 1.8 G5 Power Mac, this offer while stock last for the display.

At the moment we do not have the dual 2.0 Ghz in stock, we do not know, secondhand market not like new. Stocks tickle in.. they not readily available unlike new."

20. Liquinn Suspended

"Hi James

Congratulations on winning my Mac.

1. I have your postcode and will contact the courier company for a firm price in a moment.
    2. Then I will email you via ebay with the invoice for the mac plus shipping.
    3. Make payment as soon as you can. The only day this week that I can have the collection is Wednesday. If you don't pay in time I'm afraid we will have to wait until I am free again.
    4. I will not be making any video. Reasons for this is that you have bid to win/purchase/own; not to then start doubting the sellers honesty. To make a bid you have first read my description, looked at the photos and considered my feedback. The mac works fine and is as described. In addition, even if I was prepared to 'make a video' I currently do not have a monitor to connect to the Mac.

Look out for my invoice shortly and then I recommend you make payment asap. You could be the proud user of the Mac by the end of the week!

Thanks and congratulations again James

Regards

Richard

- clark.r
    Reply in your email program or through My Messages"

The buyer seems genuine, £200. Should I buy it?

21. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

For a dual processor, it's a good price. How much is the ram?

22. Liquinn Suspended

It comes with 5.5GB RAM, £200 seems like a lot for such an old machine :/

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Let me tell you, he went with the Dual processor Model as he told me, WAY better performance.

24. Tayfelix thread starter macrumors newbie

Omg 5.5gb! It's a steal ! Oh I know what powermac u bought! I was browsing through and I saw it is the photo about the Mac?

Yep dual processor are better! Just hope it come to the store so I can buy it or else I will still the the 1.8ghz powermac ! :)

25. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball