Worth doing a clean install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stockcerts, Oct 23, 2007.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

My new Imac is just over two months old. Is it worth the trouble to do a clean install? I could copy over the data directories to an external drive, but I would still need to contend with reinstalling ILife and hoping my preferences remained intact. Being that my system is new, I'm not sure it's worth the hassel of wiping it clean for this upgrade.

Thoughts?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, it's just a time waster. Do an Archive and Install, which will essentially give you a fresh system file. Once you are up in 10.5 and everything is working make sure to trash the "Previous System Folder" folder.

3. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Probably not. I mean, how many new apps have you installed? How many of those new apps have you deleted?

If you are worried about reinstalling iLife and your preferences, it's probably best just to upgrade. Just my $.02

4. LoganT macrumors 68020

Don't do an archive and install, do an Upgrade.

5. portent macrumors 6502a

Yes, obviously you want to do a fresh, clean install. Because your existing install is dirty and stale. Everyone knows that software left on a disk for over a week will get moldy. :)

6. Micrll macrumors member

I might as well jump in here rather then creating a new thread, I have had my macbook sense last November. I have installed a bunch of stuff but its not slowing down or anything. What should I do, I will be doing a full backup before installing 10.5 (need to back up anyway). I have a tendency to leave random stuff in different places so Im thinking I should just upgrade and be done with it. Thoughts?

Also, whats a good application to back up everything, but still be able to pull out individual files AND do a complete restore?