Worth doing a clean install?

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
San Francisco, CA
My new Imac is just over two months old. Is it worth the trouble to do a clean install? I could copy over the data directories to an external drive, but I would still need to contend with reinstalling ILife and hoping my preferences remained intact. Being that my system is new, I'm not sure it's worth the hassel of wiping it clean for this upgrade.

Thoughts?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No, it's just a time waster. Do an Archive and Install, which will essentially give you a fresh system file. Once you are up in 10.5 and everything is working make sure to trash the "Previous System Folder" folder.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Probably not. I mean, how many new apps have you installed? How many of those new apps have you deleted?

If you are worried about reinstalling iLife and your preferences, it's probably best just to upgrade. Just my $.02

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
My new Imac is just over two months old. Is it worth the trouble to do a clean install? I could copy over the data directories to an external drive, but I would still need to contend with reinstalling ILife and hoping my preferences remained intact. Being that my system is new, I'm not sure it's worth the hassel of wiping it clean for this upgrade.

Thoughts?
Don't do an archive and install, do an Upgrade.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Yes, obviously you want to do a fresh, clean install. Because your existing install is dirty and stale. Everyone knows that software left on a disk for over a week will get moldy. :)

Micrll

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
I might as well jump in here rather then creating a new thread, I have had my macbook sense last November. I have installed a bunch of stuff but its not slowing down or anything. What should I do, I will be doing a full backup before installing 10.5 (need to back up anyway). I have a tendency to leave random stuff in different places so Im thinking I should just upgrade and be done with it. Thoughts?

Also, whats a good application to back up everything, but still be able to pull out individual files AND do a complete restore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.