Worth downgrading from late 2013 15" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dannyar, Jan 3, 2016.

1. dannyar macrumors 6502

I currently own the top of the line late 2013 rMBP 15 inch with core i7, 16gb ram and 512ssd. I don't do any heavy tasks like gaming or video editing on it. I recently returned my iPad pro as it was way to much for what it brings to the table. My MBP is mostly a stationary desktop replacement that powers a 27 inch 4k display but i hate taking it anywhere because of its size and weight and was looking for something more portable that could replace the iPad pro and the MBP for day to day use. Will the Retina Macbook will be able to accomplish what i need and be able to power the 4k external monitor at least at 30z? Also, I'd be getting the Macbook at a steep discount of $900 shipped.

2. double329 macrumors 6502

I came from the very same spec rMBP you have. I do all my photo and other heavy lifting stuff with rMBP with ease. I picked up the rMB base model 1.1ghz as ultra portable replacing the MBA I have. However, after few weeks of using the rMB, I ended up returning the rMB due to performance. This so called performance is certainly a relative term, it is different perception from one person to other. The rMB is certainly can handle day to day usage. It just seems a little slow and it was not any better than my 5 years old MBA, of course there was no scientific measurement here. I would recommend you to play around with the rMB at your local store and do what you would normally do and see if you can accept its performance.

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

If you can get it on buy and return then certainly give it a good go I think you will be pleasantly surprised and wont stop grinning when you carry it around and realise how tethered your rMBP has been.

4. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. Primarily I was looking to replace my mbp with this not use it as a supplement. Since I don't really do any heavy lifting I was hoping this would fit the bill as my iPad replacement and day to day laptop replacement.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I think you'd find the difference in weight and size to be pretty marginal after the initial impressions wear off. 3.5lbs is still quite light and it's a 1' screen difference so footprint is also similar. Performance will be lower than what you're use to.

6. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you are referring to a 13" MBP. I have a 15" MacBook pro retina which is quite larger and heavier than the 12 MacBook.

7. Canaria macrumors member

Last month, I sold my 15" MBP (same as yours) and picked up a MacBook.
    I expected it to be much slower. But it's good enough for internet, email, editing and Plex Home Theater.
    I'm glad I made the switch :)

8. gman36 macrumors regular

I am contemplating the same... I need thunderbolt though, so I may wait until the next gen.

9. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

The Thunderbolt 2 problem is kind of a headache with this machine. From what I understand the rMB has Thunderbolt 3 built into USB-C, but there's no way to get from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2.

10. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I placed my order and it will be here Thursday. 900 shipped couldn't pass up. Ill get a feel if it can replace my 15" rmbp and if it can ill put it for sale on Amazon and Craigslist. I could easily get 1300 for it and pocket the difference. I'll keep the thread updated.