Worth dumping money into?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, May 18, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

In November of '08 I bought a loaded, maxed out $3k CTO 15" MBP (2.8 GHz C2D). Loved it to death.

After two years Apple replaced it for free with a better (albeit not top of the line) mid-2010 2.66 GHz i7 Arrandale machine, which I am still on now.

Don't know why, but I've never really loved this machine like I did the C2D machine, not sure why. But it has treated me well and needed no repairs.

Last summer I threw in a 120 gb Crucial SSD and maxed the RAM at 8 gigs to extend the life of it.

Now with 800 cycles and 75% battery health, it's telling me to service the battery. It only lasts maybe 2 hours just browsing, so it's time to replace it, even though a visual inspection of the battery shows no signs of swelling, etc.

The machine still does what I need it to do so a battery might buy me 2-3 more years, but is it worth shelling out another $120 for a new battery or should I just sell it and buy a new machine? Not sure what it's worth, but it's flawless except one faint scratch on the bottom.

FWIW I bought my wife a loaded CTO 13" rMBP for Christmas, so that would be two huge computer expenses in a short time, which admittedly is a deterrent, though affordable.

Gazelle pegs the value at $411-$461 depending on if they would consider it good or flawless, but not sure how battery condition or upgraded RAM/SSD factor in.

2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I'd upgrade. No reason not to. I'd say repair the battery first though. Buy the replacement battery, and factor that into the sale price. If you post it for sale needing a battery, someone will just use it as a haggling point. If you post it as "Like new, with Brand New Battery"? You'll easily be able to get the cost of the battery and more back for it. If Gazelle is willing to pay almost $500, I think you should be able to get $750-800 easy.

If cost is an issue, hit up the refurb section of the Apple Store. That should save you a few hundred, or let you get better specs for your money.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

If the macbook does everything you want it to, then I would def spend 120,- for a new battery.

4. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Only downside is that my entire setup is old - I'm rocking the 2010 MBP, the 24" ACD from 2008, a 2nd gen Time Capsule (just replaced the dead hard drive last summer also), and a Canon PIXMA iP90v portable printer.

I'd kind of like to replace everything relatively at the same time, just like how I bought the first set of stuff, but I'm really waiting for a retina/4K TB display, and while Canon has an iP100v successor to my printer, that successor has been around at LEAST 5-6 years, so I can't imagine how much longer they will continue to sell that before they put out a new model.

Decisions, decisions...

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I would keep it just because it does everything you need. If you just want a new one for the heck of it sure but from a need standpoint it serves your purpose. Get that battery and keep rollin my friend.