worth exchanging it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keema, Nov 6, 2013.

1. keema macrumors member

I have an early 2011 15 inch macbook pro i7 2.2ghz. With glossy screen.

Is it worth exchanging that to a 2011 as well, forgot if its early or late, 17 inch 2.4ghz with matt screen?

Will there be a huge difference in terms of performance between the two?

Thanks...
    Christian

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

how much additional money will you be parting with for the upgrade?

its about a 9% increase in speed + obviously the 17 inch screen which may or may not be an upgrade to you

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apart from real estate, and maybe the fact that the 17" might one day be sought after, you aren't going to notice any big performance hit...If it's real cheap, then it's probably worth it for the screen, but as an ex 17" owner, beware...they weigh a tonne...:D

4. toneLA macrumors regular

Ugh, I miss the 17-inch. Not as much as the non-unibody 17-inch but the extra real estate is proper nice as a full desktop replacement. I always thought the unibody 17-inch looked way bulkier than the non-unibody version.

Nonetheless, the unibody one is a sweet machine. I miss mine.

In terms of performance, I don't believe you'll experience anything significant/noticeable like you would if you were to upgrade to a 2.3/2.6 i7 on the latest rMBP.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Funny....I parted with my 17" a while back ( sold it to a member here) and was deliberating on which rMBP I wanted. My initial thought was that only the 15" would do, but I really wanted something as close as possible to the MBA in form factor.

I had a long talk with my Apple representative, and she said, look...try the 13"..if you don't like it you can always swap it out for the 15".

well...6 months down the line and my 13" does all I want. I don't feel the need, or miss that big bulky 17" monster and I maxed out the spec on my 13" with the 500GB SSD and the option to drop the screen down if I have to, I've never gone back.

If Apple ever do make another 17" ( I doubt it ) then it would have to be light...OLED, maybe.