Worth exchanging?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukoson, Mar 6, 2008.

1. lukoson macrumors member

I got a new 2.2 SR Macbook pro last Thursday it is speedy and I have no yellow screen issues but began noticing two annoying problems. The first is that I get a metallic "plink" noise every once in awhile. Its not very loud but has become like water torture especially when I'm in my quiet office. From doing some research I've read that its the hard drive heads parking. I hear that this is a safety feature but I also read about so many silent macbook pros out there and also have read a few forums including on the apple site with people discussing this same sound issue as not normal. The second problem is that sometimes some of the keys are unresponsive. I notice it mostly with the "A" key but some others do occasionally do it too. I downloaded the latest keyboard fix and it still does it.

So.. I bought the computer for $1499 at my school, I thought it was a good deal and so jumped on it. But I also got the last one so they can't exchange it for a new one for me. They said that they would take it back and allow me to pay the difference to upgrade to a a 2.4 penryn for $1799. My other option would be to send it to apple but not sure that they will fix the problems.

Do you think I should just cough up the extra $300 bucks and get the Penryn? I really don't mind paying it if I get one that I'll be satisfied with. But I also worry that there is a chance that getting a new one will have its own set of problems (i.e. yellow screen, loud fans, warping, etc.). Is it worth taking the chance?

Thanks for your advice.

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

aaahh the endless difference.

Penryn Model base to mid range difference is $500 at apple store.
    you'll get more discount if you buy in your school.

y point is, if you'll be upgrading, go for the midrange. since money isn't an issue for you

your internet, itunes, watcing video experience will be better with the midrange penryn:D:D:D

3. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Are you suggesting he goes with the T9500 Penryn model? There would be no point in that. There's very little difference between the T8300 and T9300 models. Your not gonna benefit from having the 512MB video card because the 8600M GT has a bottlenecked 128-bit memory bus that can't really make use of much more than 256MB of RAM and the T9500 is only marginally faster than the T8300.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't see any advantage from his 2.2 GHZ now to his planned upgrade to the penryn 2.4 Ghz..
    my point is, what software/program is the op running now that will be better on the penryn.
    i sense he simply wants the new one.. so the midrange is the best to go.
    don't forget the L2 Cache difference

5. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

The biggest reasons to upgrade to the Penryn model would be that he gets 256MB VRAM on the 8600M GT which makes a pretty big difference in gaming and heavy 3D applications. The Penryn based models also run cooler and have better battery life. And the T8300 is faster than the 2.2Ghz T7500 by as much as you're going to see between the T8300 and T9300 on average. No point in spending several hundred more to get a small boost in CPU performance like that.

6. lukoson thread starter macrumors member

clarification

I'm not looking to upgrade to get a faster computer so the base penyrn would more than suit my needs (in fact this SR 2.2. more than suits my needs) which is why I went with it and tried to save some money. The idea behind upgrading is simply a matter of the fact that the computer store has sold out of their 2.2 SR and I want a computer that doesn't have the problems I mentioned. I'd consider sending it to apple but I'm not sure if they will warrant these issues worthy of repair (i.e they might consider the head parking issue "normal" noise). Not sure what they would say about the keyboard issue. My concern was that I would pay the extra $300 and the new one would have the same head parking noise that is bugging me and/or some other problem.
    thanks again.

7. RandiC macrumors member

I sold my SR Mbp then bought the new model MBP 2.4gig 7200rpm 200gig hard drive and I couldn't be more happy with it. No problems what so ever! Most of all the multi touch is awsome if your into that.