Worth extra $100 for 4GB RAM in new macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by colourfulclock, Oct 22, 2009.

1. colourfulclock macrumors member

colourfulclock

Hey,

Do you think its worth an extra $100 US for an extra 2GB of ram in the new white macbooks?

I will mostly use it for general web, iwork, and occasionally some games on the Windows partition.

I'll probably keep the macbook for 2 years.

What do you think? :)

2. monoxera macrumors member

Yes it will be effective since you play games

3. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

For me, 4 GB is a requirement.

I don't think $100 for 4 GB is too bad of a deal. On average, the cheapest your going to find 2 x 2GB memory for is around $75 - $80 plus shipping. If you have Apple add it, at least it is also under warranty (though I can't remember the last time I had memory go bad on me).

I'm usually a frugal shopper, but if I were building a new Mac, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the $100 extra to have the RAM added for me. Especially if I wasn't already planning on opening the Mac up to replace the hard drive.

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

4gb yes, for $100, no. You can find it cheaper, although I could be wrong, I bought mine from OWC for like $70 shipped. Gave them my 2gb sticks and got $25 back but this was in January.. haha so.. who knows.

5. 2SwiFt29 macrumors regular

2SwiFt29

I did this with the old white macbook and I'm considering in doing this to my unibody macbook which I have for about a year now. I'm noticing that I could use the 4gb now since I have more programs.

6. forester54 macrumors member

forester54

owc is probably the cheapest place to buy RAM, if $100 is from apple, I would buy the lowest RAM and then buy it from OWC instead

7. colourfulclock thread starter macrumors member

colourfulclock

Thanks for your responses.

I'm still unsure. Will the difference be noticeable in general use? I've been googling and apparently 2GB is more than enough for Snow Leopard to run smoothly?

I'll only use games on college holidays and stuff i suppose..:rolleyes:

8. TrickyD88 macrumors newbie

I just upgraded mine to 4GB and it's great, it pains me to use my friend's imac with 2GB, huge difference! The RAM upgrade is a must, the speed increase and ability to have a ton open at once is definitely worth the money. I bought non-Apple and works just fine, saved a lot as opposed to getting it from Apple.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I bought a uMBP and had Apple upgrade the RAM in the store to 4GB mostly cause I didn't want the hassle of having to open the case. I thought the price was OK, and I knew I could get it cheaper elsewhere.

10. zbasarab macrumors member

if you are unsure then don't buy it.

in a few months or years time, ram will be significantly cheaper for your macbook. buy it then.

no point in spending extra money just to say 'hey i got 4 gb of ram'.

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Snow Leopard runs nicely with 2 GB of RAM. I have 2 GB in my Mac Mini and 4 GB in my iMac.

4 GB is a nice spot. $100 isn't a bad price right now. Don't know if you qualify for education pricing at Apple.com, but it's only $90 I just checked for the 4GB then. That actually considering shipping is about the same as OWC, and then you don't have to open it.

If you take care of computer, as new software comes out over time and new version of OS X, 4 GB would help it continue to run smoothly/quick.

However, if 4GB makes it too expensive for you, stay with the 2 because you'll still find it runs nicely and you could add it in the future.

Basically, I don't notice it between my Mini and iMac too much because on the Mini I mainly just do 1 or 2 things at a time and simpler things. On my iMac, I'll have many applications and windows open and it remains running good.

Again, it would make some difference for sure, but if it will break the bank and make it too expensive, go ahead and just get it stock model for now.

12. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Yeah when I got my aluminium macbook it came with 2GB. I upgraded to 4GB and noticed a massive difference. I got my RAM through Crucial Memory and it was a piece of cake to fit.

I can't comment on a white MacBook but on mine I needed very very small screw drivers, almost watch maker standard. The screws inside are stupidly small and easy to strip the screw head if you are not careful.