Worth getting a 2009 Macbook repaired?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RedTomato, Jul 3, 2017.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have a 2009 Macbook 13" as a spare computer. My young daughter 'accidentally' broke the LCD screen a few weeks ago. Apart from having a smashed screen, it boots fine & was being used for minor Word / homework.

I've been quoted £100 from one shop to repair it, and £450 (!) from another shop.

Is it worth the repair?

2. dukeblue219 macrumors member

If shop one can repair it for that price, and it's still useful to you, then it sounds like a reasonable option. The second price would be way too much since you could just buy a used 2011-2012 laptop (MB Pro maybe?) for that price.

Another option might be to accept the demise of the screen and buy an inexpensive 24" 1080P monitor and use it as a desktop for a while. At least the monitor will be usable for something else when you do eventually replace the laptop.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

£100 seems too good to be true. The cost for the part should be similar to or more than that, and that doesn't include labor costs, which are far from insignificant. The higher rate, of course, is too great a price to pay for a machine of that age.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    To the OP, My 09,15" MBP died, MOBO, cost to fix was crazy, so it sits in a closet, the screen when it died was EXCELLENT, it's yours with free shipping , the rest of the unit would be good for parts, plus I'd love the fact it would live on.Email me with your shipping info

5. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That's a really generous offer and I thank you for it. However I'm in London, UK, and you are in the USA. Shipping costs plus possible customs import duty could go well over $100 so it isn't really cost-effective.

You could offer it in Macrumors marketplace https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/marketplace-macs-and-mac-accessories.198/

Cheers RedTomato