Worth getting a Keyboard with display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by northy014, Nov 5, 2008.

1. northy014 macrumors regular

I intend to get a display for my new macbook, and I want to know whether it is worth getting a keyboard. The display will be used, mostly, for watching movies on, so I am thinking that I could just turn the brightness down on my macbook, mostly close the lid, and watch stuff on the display, rather than spending the extra money on a keyboard. Opinions?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

if you end up using the dispay for anything more than movies (and given the MB's small screen, trust me, you will...) then you will for sure want a keyboard. I had a HDTV set up as my primary monitor over the summer, and tried doing the close the lid until I needed to type approach, and it got to be annoying. Take my word for it, you'll want that keyboard.

Also, if you are shelling out at least $200 for a non-:apple: display (or $500ish + for an :apple:), how does the extra $20 for a non-:apple: (or $50-$80 for an :apple:) keyboard really hurt that much? As I said, trust me, you will want it very much very quickly.

That said, if you really do use that display ONLY for watching movies, well... no sense in getting a keyboard. On the other hand, it is bloody convenient actually having a number pad and a "delete" key (as opposed to "backspace")

Really, it all boils down to personal preference and what you will actually use it for. Personally, I'd say get the damn keyboard...

3. northy014 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. I wanted a wireless keyboard, but one with the mac keys on, and unless you get Apple's then it's really expensive. Oh, and :apple:'s is too. I will probs go for the :apple: wired one. The display is £130, the mini displayport adapter is £20 and the keyboard will be £30/£50 depending on whether I go wired or wireless. I do want the second USB port though, and I don't really want a hub clogging up my desk, so i might as well just spring for the wireless. I don't mind not having a delete button really.

4. northy014 thread starter macrumors regular

Just realised that the wired keyboard has 2 extra USB ports on, leaving me with 3 overall, which seems like a good solution to my problem. If anyone else is in the same situation, that's what I'm going to do.

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

yup, that's about what I got. Be fore-warned tho, the ports on the keyboard have two issues:
    1) non-powered, so high-power devices and some flash drives won't work.
    2) the ports are tucked up under the keyboard, so some bigger plugs (like flash drives) won't necessarily fit.

Those are my only two gripes against the :apple: keyboard. and while you may not mind not having the delete key and such, you will find in indispensable once you have it ;)

And I sure agree on wanting the MB-like chiclet keys. They are definitely love-or-hate, and I love them. So ya, the wired keyboard is very worth it (I only wish that they made a full-sized wireless keyboard like, well, EVERY other manufacturer on the planet :rolleyes:) Oh well, that sums up apple: we know your needs better than you do :D

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I bought an external display, a couple months later, added a keyboard. I bought one mainly because I do a lot of work with excel and wanted a proper numberpad, though... if it weren't for that, I likely would have stuck with the MB's keyboard.

That said, adding a keyboard (especially a wireless one) gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of how you layout your system. Worth it for that, imo.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, if one prefers wired keyboards, the hub probably is really a good option. If you want it out of the way, double sticky tape it to the back of the display. Although the hub adds more cable, in the end, at least one advantage of it is that you can leave all your USB stuff plugged in and together, and then you have less cables to plug into the Mac when you bring it there.

On the other hand, if the MB mostly lives at the desk, then the hub is probably a waste.

Oh, and the other thing to think about if you don't have your display yet is that many of them have powered USB hubs in them. I think pretty much every Dell is like this, unless they stopped doing it?

8. northy014 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm getting an Acer display, which doesn't have it. The Dell equivalent was £50 more ($80).

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The latest Apple desktop keyboards are absolutely the finest keyboards ever produced in my opinion. They are just like the black keyboard on your MacBook, but the keys are made of a different plastic which has a better texture which is easier to type on. I really recommend the wireless one - at £50 I know it is pricey but to me that is worth every penny.

10. munnstermac macrumors newbie

^^^^ Completely agree, and they are so easy to maintain, god forbid you should eat near your mac :eek: then crumbs are easily removed :p. But seriously its a pleasure to work with and well worth the £50. Go for it my friend.