Worth getting a late 2013 now?

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
i am in the market for a MacBook. Primarily the use will be browsing and word processing. Nothing more nothing less. I have my eyes on late 2013 retina models but just wondering if this is enough? Will they have slowed down quite a bit by now? Any input appreciated!

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
If you can get it for cheap, sure. Otherwise, since your needs are basic, I'd recommend the new MacBook Air. Basically, I'd say buy the one that cheaper and also take into account that the 2013 won't have any warranty.

Dakko

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
i am in the market for a MacBook. Primarily the use will be browsing and word processing. Nothing more nothing less. I have my eyes on late 2013 retina models but just wondering if this is enough? Will they have slowed down quite a bit by now? Any input appreciated!
[doublepost=1550664448][/doublepost]
I just sold my wife’s 2013 MBP to MacOfAllTrades. It ran perfectly fine on Mojave and has a nice sturdy build with a great keyboard. Not sure how well it will run on future MacOs’s.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Speed on the 2013 is fine, but they're getting old enough that you'll start to see battery problems, and they'll soon be on Apple's vintage/unsupported list so you won't be able to get them fixed. I'd personally try to find a late 2014 or 2015.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
thanks all. I ended up finding a good deal on a 2015 MacBook in a local ad, £400 and immaculate condition. Will be picking it up this weekend!

pshufd

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I was still using a 2008 MacBook Pro last summer until the display went. It wasn't lightning quick but it was fine for email, browsing, writing and watching videos. So 2013 would be a lot better. I would personally pick 2014 or 2015, though, as they're considered the most reliable models in the past decade.

adrianlondon

macrumors 68000
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have the late 2013 Macbook 15" Retina. It's a nice machine.

I replaced the battery a few weeks ago. Well, ok, I paid Apple to do it. Not cheap but as they're too lazy to unglue the existing one they replace the entire top casing. So, new battery, new touchpad and new keyboard. Nice.

The only issue with it is the screen. I got it replaced around 3.5 years ago but "staingate" is causing issues around the edges again. It's only in the bezel area so has no impact on usage - it's just an aesthetic issue. I guess it'll get worse over time, but if it does there's always the "listerine" trick of last resort. Removing the anti-glare coating.

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR

I replaced the battery a few weeks ago. Well, ok, I paid Apple to do it. Not cheap but as they're too lazy to unglue the existing one they replace the entire top casing. So, new battery, new touchpad and new keyboard. Nice.

The only issue with it is the screen. I got it replaced around 3.5 years ago but "staingate" is causing issues around the edges again. It's only in the bezel area so has no impact on usage - it's just an aesthetic issue. I guess it'll get worse over time, but if it does there's always the "listerine" trick of last resort. Removing the anti-glare coating.
I was thinking about getting my 13" battery replaced before they discontinue service for it. It's really dumb that they won't replace the battery separately, probably as a means to incentivize new purchases I'm sure.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI

How much was the replacement?

I have a 13" 2013 MBP that has a "stuck" trackpad. Still works with tap to click, but it is annoying. The battery could also use replacement, so maybe I can get it all packaged in one.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
How much was the replacement?

I have a 13" 2013 MBP that has a "stuck" trackpad. Still works with tap to click, but it is annoying. The battery could also use replacement, so maybe I can get it all packaged in one.
The battery may be the cause of your trackpad problems. I'd take it to an Apple Store to see if they'll just replace the battery which will get you the new top case for the price of the battery replacement.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
The battery may be the cause of your trackpad problems. I'd take it to an Apple Store to see if they'll just replace the battery which will get you the new top case for the price of the battery replacement.
I already took it in once a year or two ago. It isn't the battery causing it. Just the trackpad has either some crud stuck in in or has just started to stick.

Occasionally it will loosen up and work for a few days - then it gets jammed again. They told me I could try to reseat the trackpad's screw (which I tried), but that didn't actually help. Feels like something is stuck between the trackpad and the casing and that moves around and sometimes gets out of the way.

Oh well. Might as well take it in again and see what they say. Wouldn't hurt.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
If you're buying used, it might make sense to just go with the latest non-crappy keyboard model (the 2015).

There's not a massive difference between the 2013 and 2015 since they are all in the same retina line, but you'll end up with:

- 3159 geekbench vs. 3844 (+22% or so single core speed)
- Iris 5100 vs Iris 6100 graphics
- Faster RAM, faster SSD (I believe 2015 was the year where the SSD became literally 2x as fast!)

Not a huge deal if you find a good deal on a 2013 though.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
[doublepost=1550664448][/doublepost]
I just sold my wife’s 2013 MBP to MacOfAllTrades. It ran perfectly fine on Mojave and has a nice sturdy build with a great keyboard. Not sure how well it will run on future MacOs’s.
How was MacofAllTrades? Im looking to sell my machine and they seem to give a pretty decent rate for my 2013 rMBP. Ive never heard of them or used them so curious as to how your transaction was.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I'd say it's absolutely enough. I have a mid-2012 (non-retina) MBP with a SSD in it and it's lightning fast. I can play youtube videos at full resolution without a dropped frame even with tons of tabs open, I'm editing video in Final Cut without a problem and I can even play a fair amount of games on it without problems. I played Left 4 Dead 2 on it the other day on medium/high in 60fps and the fans wasn't even at full capacity. For browsing and word processing I'd say even much muuuuuch older models will be just fine.

Dakko

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
How was MacofAllTrades? Im looking to sell my machine and they seem to give a pretty decent rate for my 2013 rMBP. Ive never heard of them or used them so curious as to how your transaction was.
I have never had a problem with them. As long as you disclose any cosmetic or operational issues they will honor their quote.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I have never had a problem with them. As long as you disclose any cosmetic or operational issues they will honor their quote.
They quoted me 670 for my machine which is a decent price personally. I will be selling them the machine and buying a 2018 MBP.