iPhone 6(S)(+) worth getting a refurbished iPhone 6S?

bj097

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
On Amazon, looks like I can get an Apple certified refurbished iPhone 6S 64GB at approx. USD 293

While here in my country the new iPhone 8 64GB sold at approx. USD 612 after a local special sales.

In both cases they are fully unlocked.

What do you think?

I have confidence for Amazon and "Apple certified", however, I am thinking if iPhone 6S could run the newest iOS smoothly or not.

What do you think?

Yes, the question is all about money and if it's worth. I personally don't want to spend 600 for a mobile phone. However, if spending USD 293 will get something
really bad or not worthing, in that case, I will still spend 600 for a new iPhone 8

What do you think?

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
6s is a great phone. I got the max but I must tell you ios9 and 6s plus was "ROCK" solid. I'm glad I didn't update the OS and the phone still performs great. I may just get back to my 6s plus

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
It's still a great phone, because of iOS 12, which makes it like it was released yesterday.

Buy it, if your obsession with newest and latest is not that strong.

Last edited:

AppleB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I have a 6 Plus that I booted up and updated to iOS 12. Runs great. Do I would imagine a 6S would run just as well or better.

keeper

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
My 6s+ is running fine on IOS12, so much so that I can’t see a reason to upgrade, I only use the camera for snaps and it’s OK.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Make sure it really is refurbished by apple and not the seller.
Was just going to say this. Someone else on here posted something about an iPad that “was refurbished by Apple” when it really wasn’t. You’re better off buying on Swappa... where you’ll know that won’t happen. ebay is worse.

Reactions: ROLLTIDE1

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My (now 3 year old) 6s is running great with iOS 12, it feels as fast and fluid as the day I bought it. I’m thinking about upgrading to an XR when it comes out but honestly with my trusty old 6s running as great as it is I’m finding it hard to justify the upgrade.

Reactions: scottcampbell

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
How about buying on Amazon US?

It's sold by third party seller but Amazon said "Fulfilled by Amazon"

Can it be trusted?
Yes. Even if it 3rd party selling it, Amazon is handling logistics. Plus you can return the item as you could any item that was sold directly by Amazon. No need to deal with seller. Because of that I have no issues buying stuff that was fulfilled by Amazon.

bj097

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
fulfilment by amazon only means that the storage, packaging and delivery is by amazon. whether the product is trustworthy depends on the 3rd party seller
Great knowledge that I never knew.
I thought it meant quality guranteed by Amazon

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Great knowledge that I never knew.
I thought it meant quality guranteed by Amazon
You should consider a "refurbished" phone sold by someone other than direct Apple sales is nothing more than a used phone. The warranty, if any, is only useful if you can find that vendor when you have a problem with the phone.

Reactions: BeeGood

bj097

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
OK. I've decided to purchase a new iPhone 8 64GB instead.

How about buying from authorized reseller? Is it as good
quality as buying directly from Apple store?

Because they have sales now, 50 usd less for iPhone 8 here in my country.

FeliApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2015
6s is a great phone. I got the max but I must tell you ios9 and 6s plus was "ROCK" solid. I'm glad I didn't update the OS and the phone still performs great. I may just get back to my 6s plus
You are running iOS 9 on a 6s plus? Nice!
[doublepost=1538513817][/doublepost]Per the OP's question, I do believe the 6s is a great phone. If you get it, never update the iOS version and you will be fine.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I personally still use the iPhone 6s. My usage does not justify the cost of a newer phone, since I only use it to text or occasionally browse the web or instagram. The battery life is the worst aspect of the 6s for me. I recently had the battery replaced, which improved battery life just a little. However, I still have to charge it two times a day. If you do not use heavy apps like snapchat, you should be fine. For me it is mandatory to carry an external battery pack with me. iOS 12 does run smoothly on the iPhone 6s, it is plenty fast for most people.

Perosnally, I would get a 6s on the second hand market (which is way cheaper). Probably, the battery in the second hand ones has a run-down capacity, but till the end of the year you can get it replaced for 30 dollars at any certified apple reseller.

Reactions: bj097

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
6s is still great today but I doubt it's going to run iOS 13 very well. I personally don't think it's a decent buy. Better off getting the 7 and getting 2 good years out of it. My 2 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.