Worth getting an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Snoopy89, May 23, 2012.

1. Snoopy89 macrumors newbie

I've been thinking of getting the new iPad for some time now but have been deciding if its worth it. I currently have a pretty decent laptop that I bought two years ago but it is consistently going in for repairs. I've thought about selling this windows laptop and buying a new MacBook Pro but have also thought of just sticking it out with this laptop and buying a new iPad. My uses are basically watching entertainment, browsing, occassional games, and word processing. Nothing too intensive. The other reason I thought about buying an iPad is because of the short battery life on my current laptop. It only lasts about an hour and a half of surfing the web or light word processing. Based on this, would an iPad be a wise purchase or am I better off just saving for a new laptop?

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If you're ok with continuing to use your current laptop for word processing, the iPad can probably take care of everything else. You can do word processing on it too, especially with a Bluetooth keyboard, but the experience isn't up to laptop levels yet. But for media consumption it definitely beats any laptop.

3. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Only you can really answer this question completely. However, based on your post, it sounds like an iPad would be a good fit for you. It beats the crap out of a laptop for browsing the web and and watching videos. The only area you mentioned where the iPad is still pretty weak is word processing. It really depends on what your needs are here. If your word processing needs frequently involve many of the more specialized features of MS Word or Apple's Pages, you may want to stick with a laptop, as word processing on the iPad is still pretty basic. However, if all you do is type letters or other simple documents, then the iPad will probably be just fine. You might want to consider buying a bluetooth keyboard if you plan to do a lot of typing.

I will add that, in my experience, there are a whole bunch of uses for your iPad that you can't even think of until you own one. I use my iPad to take all my class notes (including direct annotations on professor's power point slides). At the same time, I record all the lectures for later review and have all my engineering textbooks stored on the iPad in PDF form, saving me from having to lug them all around. I would never have predicted how the iPad would change my learning process before I bought it. You may not fully be able to predict what you will use it for until you own one. Good luck with your decision!

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

"Worth getting an iPad?"

Short answer - YES

I purchased a MacBook Pro last year and it spends most of its time in a drawer. From what you say in your post, the iPad will server you well.

5. cperry2 macrumors regular

For your stated uses, yes absolutely. Just go with a 16gb model if you store all your stuff on the laptop now anyway. Maybe 32gb.

6. blow45 macrumors 68000

Don't even I k about going 16gb, your iPad will be close to useless and unsellable then, future proof yourself with more storage.

7. chokem macrumors 6502

I agree. I regret only getting a 16GB 4S when I upgraded from the 4. I'm nearly out of memory. I didn't make that mistake with my new iPad. I've got close to 70 apps, and about 1500 photos and still have over 15 gigs free.

8. Bokes macrumors 6502

word processing is the key issue here.

How much do you do?
    I thought the iPad would replace my MacAir as the new super cool coffee shop writing tool. It has not. You can kind of get use to typing on the virtual keyboard- but it takes up a lot of screen. The main frustration I had was having to touch the tap the screen to copy/paste/move cursor through the document.

Many of the word processing apps are dumbed down version and do not have all the features of the desktop version.

For me the iPad is fantastic ereader.
    I really do not need it for much else.
    I prefer to watch netflix on my 50inch plasma.

My wife bought a nook tablet.
    It can play music, videos and display photos.
    It has games and apps (not many- but as a recreational device how many do you need?)
    And obviously- it's IMO- the best ereader for the $$$$
    Great screen- small and light.

There are decent options out there.

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

This. I love my iPad for most consumption-based tasks. There are many things, through apps, that it can do better than the laptop. I have done some word processing on the iPad. Decent, but not great.

So, as pointed out, the question is how important is the WP and how much do you do? Can you manage to keep your laptop for it? Is it light enough that you might be able to do it on the iPad?

Anyone you know have an iPad with Pages where you might be able to test it?

10. Donka macrumors 68020

At home I probably use my iPad 80% of the time and my Macbook Pro the other 20%. If you can get by with your current laptop then go for an iPad as you will likely use that much more, especially given your listed requirements.

11. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I use an iPad + Targus keyboard + Pages while out and about for writing. Works great. I work as a full-time journalist and author. My shoulder loves it too -- no need to carry around a heavy MacBook Pro in my bag.

Where it gets a little crappy is editing. Selecting text, and moving around quickly in a document, really requires a mouse. It can be done on an iPad if you really have to.

So for writing, the iPad is fine. For editing after you've written it's not so great. You're always looking to get to a desktop computer for that stage.

FWIW I wonder if the issue here isn't the iPad's limitations, as much as it that word processing on a tablet needs examining and innovating. After all, Pages for iOS is no different fundamentally compared to WordPerfect, being sold 20 years ago.

12. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

i guess it comes down to the basics

Do you consume data?
    Or do you create data?
    If your consuming 90% or more i say go ipad.
    otherwise stay traditional. Personally i work in R&D and provide intel for an import/export company. I tried using ipad, just not for me, i have way too much writing to do and idevices dont cater to creating data.

13. Snoopy89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a university student studying biology. Most of my word processing would be writing multiple lab reports and research reports throughout the week as well as doing online homework through a program. Occasionally, I would have to create powerpoints. I have no problem with using my current laptop for these things as long as the iPad is more than worth the investment in other aspects of my university work. I think the iPad would be something I would bring along everyday instead of my laptop because it is too heavy. On the top of my head, my main uses for the iPad would be e-reading (I already have a Nook 1st Edition), taking notes directly on a professor's PDF, netflix, games, and browsing the web. I guess the main thing would be if there are any creative ways of using the iPad to increase efficiency in studying such as researching new topics, creating flash cards, taking notes, recording lectures, and etc. I think the iPad would be something I would have to try out to see exactly what I would use it for but it is such an investment that, again, I'm not sure if selling my current laptop and using some of my funds to buy the new MacBook Pro or MacBook Air would be better.

Also I would use the iPad for everyday tasks as well since I would not be using it to word process all the time but also for organizing tasks, reminders, calander, and etc. I'm just wondering if it is worth it when my iPhone is capable of doing that as well.