worth getting an SSD over hybrid for 2009 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Bullitt, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

Hi guys!

As I am having some serious issues right now with the 500GB 7200rpm drive that came with my July 2009 MBP, I am considering going the SSD way.

I would like to have the same 512Gb-ish storage that I currently have, but as my MBP has the "old" SATA interface, which is "capped" at 300MB/s, it does seem a bit of a waste to me, to get a drive that could deliver 400-500MBs.

Instead I consider getting the 750GB Momentus XT (8GB SDD on this one?)

What do you guys think?

2. simsaladimbamba

While the sequential read/write speeds seem to be hampered by S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) with an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD, those speeds rarely come into play, as the random read/write speeds are the one giving your Mac a boost, and even with S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) those are fantastic.

I have a 2009 MBP with a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD and a 500 GB 7,200 RPM HDD and it feels quite snappy and like new, even though it is already more than one year ago since I made the modifications.

3. offthehook macrumors member

SSD all the way! you won't regret it. My 2009 MBP 13'' feels like new despite the SATA 2 bottleneck

4. Mr.Bullitt thread starter macrumors regular

I saw in the SSD guide that the intel 320 series are top recommended for my MBP, but a decent size is really price over here - Crucial, OCZ and Samsung seem like a much better deal.

The issue I am having with my current drive is this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16825932#post16825932

(maybe was posted in wrong forum section)

5. macnoodle macrumors newbie

Another vote for SSD. Get yourself a 500GB Samsung 840 SSD (the plain vanilla non-pro version) and don't look back!

6. Mr.Bullitt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. The Samsungs seems to be the cheapest 500GB also. Is there anything I need to worry about e.g firmware updates only from Windows?

7. macnoodle, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

macnoodle macrumors newbie

Yeah, that is one thing that I couldn't manage - update the firmware. But you know what? Even with older firmware the drive ran like this and without any issues in my mid-2012 MBP 13- inch (this is the 250GB model with 250MB/s max write speeds):

[​IMG]

I have now put an even faster SSD in there (the Samsung 840 Pro), but only because the one I put in there originally was always meant for my 2008 iMac (which cannot take advantage of the faster speeds that the 840 Pro provides anyway).

Even with that one hiccup (i.e. I wasn't able to update the firmware on a Mac) I would still wholeheartedly recommend the Samsung 840!