Worth getting refurb rmbp 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yabot, Aug 26, 2013.

  1. yabot macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2013
    #1
    So i just seen on apple store UK, 15 inch rmbp is price at £1.3k

    8GB Ram
    256 HD
    2.3 Ghz

    I dont like having too many programs open so not sure i need 16gb ram.

    Wait for haswell or get it now? I'd like to play a few games on it so if the new rmbp omits the dgpu then i'll be kicking myself.

    Opinions would be great, cheers!
     
  2. cxc273 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2012
    #2
    Unless you need the computer right now, it's probably not a bad idea to wait until September to see if Apple releases the new Haswell-based MacBooks.

    If you're not happy with the specs of the new machines, you can always go to the Apple refurbished store and purchase one of the previous generation models.
     
  3. collinmac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Chilliwack, BC
    #3
    Don't forget, the price of a new haswell based machine will be at least £300 - £500 more than a refurb is now.

    Haswell is more of an efficiency leap than a power leap.

    Correct me if i'm wrong.
     
  4. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2013
    #4
    yeah know what you mean about efficiency, obviously its nice having more battery just i spend most the day plugged in.

    also 1.3k for a 15inch retina is a good deal in my eyes, considering i could sell my 2010 mbp for about £400-£500.
     
  5. tbolt11 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    #5
    it's a pretty killer deal imo, but I can't help but wait to see the updates personally.
     
  6. theromz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2013
    #6
    I think it comes down to 2 things.

    1) Do you care about Wireless AC
    2) Do you care about battery life increase.

    The battery life will improve with Mavericks, however haswell should add another 2 hours on top I would guess. There is also faster SSD but I think it would make small difference outside of benchmarks.

    If the above doesn't seem like its worth £400 then I would go for it. However I might be inclined to wait for the offical annocument just to make sure they don't bring anything game changing to the table (Hardly doubt they will).
     
  7. johnnylarue, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

    johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2013
    #7
    The current refurb strikes me as a good deal, but the 8GB RAM is a non-starter for me personally, both in terms of current performance and future-proofing.

    So I'm in line with the consensus here: you don't have much longer to wait, and it could pay off in terms of further price drops on older models even if the Haswell MBP doesn't win you over.
     

Share This Page