Worth getting the 2010 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diiiiips, Mar 11, 2011.

  1. Diiiiips macrumors regular

    Mar 2, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Best Buy seem to have the 2010 MBP for $1070 at the moment. Is this a good price?

    I just want it for everyday use but it won't be heavy processor use so I don't need Sandy Bridge.

    So is it cheaper anywhere else and should u go for it or get the 2011?

    Btw, I'm on holiday in the US so can't order online from the Apple refurb shop.
  2. ender land macrumors 6502a

    Oct 26, 2010
    which size?

    17? probably well worth it. 13? probably not.
  3. stockscalper macrumors 6502a


    Aug 1, 2003
    Area 51
    If it is an i5 or i7 it will do just fine. They still have plenty of computing power that you will probably never tax.
  4. Diiiiips thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 2, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

    Sorry, I should have said - it's a 13" with Core 2 Duo, no i5 or i7.

    Not worth it? The refurb store has it cheaper but I can't get it delivered. Apple Stores don't keep refurbs do they? Anywhere cheaper?
  5. pricej636 macrumors 6502

    Mar 30, 2010
  6. paleriderc2d macrumors member

    Mar 3, 2011
    If its the C2D at 2.66 Ghz, I would consider picking it up. I picked up the 2.66 two days before the refresh because I wanted the Nvidia GPU, and I only do word processing and online classes with my MBP.

    The core 2 duo is still a solid processor. If you want the i5 or the i7, you can't go wrong with either selection.
  7. Akack macrumors 6502a

    Mar 5, 2011
    If purchased form BB, $1070 + state tax (assume ~8.5 %) = $1160 for the 2010 MBP.

    2011 MBP 2.3 ghz i5 at Amazon.com shipped = $1164 (no tax on items purchased thru Amazon in TX)

    Even if you have to pay tax if you purchased from Amazon, difference is only $100, get the 2011.
  8. apd macrumors member

    Mar 8, 2011
  9. Guilfox macrumors member

    Mar 30, 2007
    2011 all the way

    Hi Diiiiips,

    I do understand why you are considering the options. The 2010 13" is no slouch but in all honesty I think in five years time you will be very pleased you paid the extra when your i5 is still going strong. Also in five years time USB2 external HDDs will seem so slow compared to their thunderbolt counterparts.
  10. adnoh macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2010
  11. JCCash macrumors regular

    Apr 20, 2008
  12. MDP78 macrumors newbie

    Oct 16, 2010
    Concord, CA
    Another confused buyer

    That interview from Anandtech is rather interesting, especially with regards to GPU performance under Windows.

    I myself have been wanting to get a 13 inch Macbook Pro since last year, but decided to wait and see what was going to be offered for 2011. While I agree that most of what the new 13 inch got was a huge step up over the 2010 MBPs, I'm really hesitant to buy it because of what most "experts" are saying about the IGP in Sandy Bridge.

    While most of what I will do won't be too graphics intensive, I'd like to be able to occasionally run some games, esp under W7. I mostly play older and some newer games on my trusty Tecra A-10 at low or medium settings, so if I can at least get full speed without sacrificing FPS at these settings on the 2011 13 MBP then I'm sold! I'm especially interested in getting Street Fighter 4 and Tron Evolution (I know the game's rather repetitive, I'm just a Tron fan ;-) running at decent speeds. I've seen a vid of a guy playing SF4 on his 2010 MBP and it seems to be running at full speed. Most of the other games I play run on emulators, so I don't think I'll have a problem there.

    I guess my question now is, is it possible that the Intel HD Gfx 3000 will get better over time with driver updates? As in, either at least match the Nvidia 320M's capabilities under Windows or slightly improve over it?

Share This Page