Worth getting the extra gig of RAM?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wfoster, Mar 27, 2009.

1. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

I'm going to be buying the new base model Mac Mini. I'm wondering, is it worth upgrading it an extra gig?

I don't run any big programs, normally just Adium, Safari, Mail and iTunes.

Thank you,
    wfoster.

2. clearchaos macrumors regular

clearchaos

Upgrade the ram yourself. $50 for 4GB is cheap, and you'll definitely notice an improvement.

If you'd feel more comfortable having Apple take care of things, then 2GB is still a noticable jump from 1GB. (says the guy typing on a 512mb pentium 4 windblows machine ;) )

3. wfoster thread starter macrumors 6502a

wfoster

In all honesty, I'm too scared to do it myself. :p

4. cobock1 macrumors newbie

If you are really that nervous about opening the machine up yourself and upgrading the ram, then don't. I just got my new basic Mini in the mail today and I am extremely impressed with how fast and responsive it is with only 1gb of RAM. I was going to order myself a 1gb or 2gb stick for super cheap and upgrade it this week, but I might wait a little while. For just general purpose computing (internet browsing, mail, chatting, google earth, watching movies) the 1gb or RAM is very responsive. Mind you, the last mac I owned was a dual 1ghz G4 w/ 512mb, running Tiger. But the mini is faster than any PC I've owned, including my newish HP DV2715nr laptop.

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think $50 for an extra gig is an OK deal considering the effort and risk of DIY. I would be tempted to pay $200 more for 4 gigs and 320 gigs.

I have a 1.83 C2D that I upgraded to 2 gigs and 160 gigs just tonight. It was somewhat difficult (mainly nerve racking), and I'm good with mechanical things.

I probably would have maxed it out but I had the ram and hdd left from upgrading my Macbook. I wish I would have just got the top of line in 2007 when I bought it. BTW, the increase to 2 gigs made a lot of difference.

6. cobock1 macrumors newbie

That's what I've heard. I'm excited about upgrading it! A little nervous too... But pretty confident that I can do it without messing anything up. :cool: BTW, the OWC videos on how to upgrade the RAM and HDD on the new 2009 Minis are great!

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

It's pretty sweet that the new mini comes with 1 X 1gb ram stick now. Mine came with 2 X 512. My MB came with 2 X 512 also. I upped the MB to 2 X 1 for a while (got that kit cheap when a MR member pulled it from a MBP). Then when the 4 gb kit got cheap I upped the MB and had the 2 gb kit available for my mini.

Look at the MR ram guide ("guide" tab at top of this page). You may want to stick with matched pair ram and go with 4 gb while you're in there. Mine does not support 4 gb.