Worth going from 2.4 to 2.66 on the new 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gooter80, Apr 16, 2010.

1. gooter80 macrumors member

I posted this in another thread but no one has seen it yet, so I figured I'd make a new one and get it out of the way. My question is what are the real-world performance differences between the two new 13" MBPs? It is a pretty significant price difference (about $250 when you configure with the same HDD) to jump from the 2.4 to the 2.66, so I was wondering whether you all feel it is a worthwhile expense? There has been a lot of talk about the differences between the i5 and i7's but haven't seen this covered yet.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

imho the high end 13" model is definitely 100% *NOT* worth upgrading to. They are nearly identical apart from the 0.2ghz difference. From my experience you will never know the difference if you are not a poweruser (who should get a core iX anyway). the only reason to get the upgrade might be that it will last two weeks longer in the long run or so, since they are both outdated CPU's as it is.

the high end 13" is a total rip off in my book....

4. Readover macrumors member

I see no reason for getting the 2,66 over the 2,4 13".. It's just not that big a difference in processor speed and all you get besides that is a slightly bigger HDD.. Meaningless IMO. Go for the base and get a SSD instead :) That'll make a bigger difference!

5. gooter80 thread starter macrumors member

I was considering this, but I need more than 128gb and I cant justify the more expensive ssd options at this point :eek:

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

There are a bunch of other threads about the same issue. One pointed out the exact differences earlier today. Check my history!

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If you really want a performance boost stick w/ the low end and use the spare $ to buy a good SSD. You can get a Corsair P128 for about $330. It's not an Intel, but, doesn't have an Intel price either and it's plenty fast and reliable. I have one in my own 2.2Ghz MBP and love the hell out of it. I've really grown to despite hard drives because of it.