Worth going from mid-2007 BlackBook to mid-2010 MacBook Pro for about $300?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmk1974, Apr 14, 2011.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I recently bought a used mid-2007 13" Black MacBook on Craigslist for my daughter (Paid $400 incl the new battery I bought). Works fine and all and probably good enough for her needs. 2.16GHz/2GB ram/80gb HDD. New non-Apple battery as well. Good condition.

I put this MacBook as well as my mid-2010 13" 2.4 MacBook Pro on CL to see how they'd fare and whichever doesn't sell I'll keep for my daughter (I just bought a 2011 13" i5 MBP for myself which is why the 2010 MBP is listed as well).

I have an offer from a potential buyer for $600 for the BlackBook. The MBP has only fetched as high as $900. What I am trying to decide is...while the BlackBook really is fine for my daughter (for now), is it worth the extra $300 investment (since that's the offer difference) for:

+ Newer laptop (I bought it brand new from Best Buy in November)
    + Still having 7 months warranty left vs zero
    + 4 GB ram instead of 2 GB ram
    + Better video
    + Slightly faster processor
    + Better display
    + Lighter and thinner
    + Slightly better battery
    + Intertial touchpad (instead of touchpad w/button)
    + SD slot
    + Mint condition vs good condition

Am I missing any other key differences? Worth the extra $300 out of my pocket? Thanks!

2. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

From what I'm understanding, you are contemplating selling the BlackBook for $600, and giving the MBP to your daughter instead?

I guess it would really be up to you if you are willing to sacrifice the extra $300... Now, is the BlackBook good enough for your daughter? Probably.

The only compelling reason for selling off the BlackBook and keeping the MBP that I can think of (aside from the obvious reason that its an all around better machine) would be that the MBP will hold its resale value far longer than the BlackBook will. If I were you, $600 for a BlackBook is a pretty good deal, I would take it. That computer's resale value is only going to go down.

Also, you said you only paid $400 for the BlackBook to begin with, so you would already be making $200 off of it's sale.

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

That is correct. If I were to get like $1000-$1050 for the MBP, then I'd sell that in a heartbeat and keeping the BlackBook is a no-brainer. I agree the $600 is a good offer which is why I am contemplating it (even though the BlackBook is plenty good enough for a 7.5 year old).

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you have already found someone to over-pay for the BlackBook ... take the $600

The odds of you finding someone to over-pay for the MBP are slim ... you are already ahead and your daughter gets the better computer

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I would definitely sell the BlackBook for the 600 then use the money to upgrade to a new MBP for yourself (which is what I think you're planning on doing?)

I actually got my BlackBook for 560 online and love it; I would have gotten an air for a grand but the Blackbook was bumped up in specs 2.2, 4gb, 320gb so I decided to get the deal, especially since I needed a good computer now.

6. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Well, I got the $600 for the BlackBook. Now she asks me..."how much can you get one of those skinny one's for? I think it's called an Air?". Are 7-year olds supposed to be this into tech? When I was 7, the Atari, Intellivision and Commodore were all I knew! :)

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats great thats she's interested in technology at a young age! You should help teach her stuff if she is interested and up to it. That way she can learn, and being knowledge about computers is a skill which comes in handy in just about all fields, even without a degree in it.

8. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

It was cute when she started showing her Bubbie how to use the iPad at the Apple Store last month. Maybe she'll be a somewhat rare female engineer or something someday.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

That's great; when I read the topic title i didn't think she was that young, maybe around 14 or something at the youngest lol.

But yea I'm a big nerd my girlfriend loves video games somewhat; our kids (if we have any) will definitely grow up around technology.

10. dmk1974, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

NOW...2008 MacBook White or 2010 MacBook Pro?

Man, this Craigslist can get addicting! :)

I had just set up her 2010 MBP when I found a deal on a 2008 White MacBook 2.4 GHz/2GB RAM. It was listed as not working and would just stick at the gray Apple screen. I took a shot and bought it for just $160. It was missing a key and had the chips along the palmrest and above the screen that are common for this model. Came with the original box, discs and accessories.

Well, got it home and tried it with an extra hard drive I had and it installed Snow Leopard and ran just fine! All it needed was a new hard drive! I then took it to the Apple Store because of the chips and they replaced the entire keyboard/palmrest/touchpad assembly and display bezel for free (even though there is no Apple Care on it) because of that chip issue! Looks and runs great now! Battery is still at 76% so definitely tolerable.

SO, now my dilemma is similar to last week. Do I sell the 2008 white MacBook for $600-$650 or still look to sell the 2010 MacBook Pro for about $900? Both are plenty good for what she does...I just get nervous if she were to drop the MBP or something (though, she is typically really careful with the electronics).

I gotta stop checking Craigslist and just be done with it! :)