Worth going to 4-6 gb?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Is there a visible performance difference between 4 gb and 6 gb of RAM?

Specifically with the CS3 apps...I have Photoshop and Dreamweaver open most of the day, along with one small app for Windows in Parallels. I have a ton of page-outs and I can hear the HD crunching at times.

I have 2 gb right now...definitely going to add at least another 2 gb, but was thinking of buying 4 gb instead.

Any similar experiences? I don't mind spending ~$400 instead of $200 if there is going to be a significant difference, but not if we are talking a minor difference.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I would say that you probably will notice a difference, especially because of parallels. Although how much RAM do you have assigned to parallels?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Only 512 mb. It's just a small online stat-checking app that doesn't use many resources...and unfortunately it is Windows-only. That's literally all I use Parallels for, apart from checking sites in IE.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Cs3 3gb

Arent the CS3 aps limited to 3GB RAM. So u wud probably notice a difference if u use another app at the same time (multi tasking).

Just a lil suggestion: Get the CS3 apps u have from bittorrent for the mac so u can use them natively on the mac osx. u already have purchased the cs3 apps so according to my thoughts u r not pirating.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Arent the CS3 aps limited to 3GB RAM. So u wud probably notice a difference if u use another app at the same time (multi tasking).

Just a lil suggestion: Get the CS3 apps u have from bittorrent for the mac so u can use them natively on the mac osx. u already have purchased the cs3 apps so according to my thoughts u r not pirating.
I do have the mac version of CS3...I'm not trying to run them in Parallels :) Using Parallels for a completely separate app.

This is what is running at a typical moment:

Photoshop CS3
Dreamweaver CS3
Safari
Adium
iTunes
Parallels (for one very lightweight app)

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

They already have the Mac version so why are you suggesting pirating for something they already have?

I do have the mac version of CS3...I'm not trying to run them in Parallels :) Using Parallels for a completely separate app.

This is what is running at a typical moment:

Photoshop CS3
Dreamweaver CS3
Safari
Adium
iTunes
Parallels (for one very lightweight app)
Parallels uses the same amount of RAM no matter what program is running in it, I'm fairly positive of that. (Check Activity Monitor to be sure.) And what you might try is getting 4GB of RAM and if you are still getting page outs, then bump it up to 6GB of RAM.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Right now parallels is using 329.92 mb of real memory and 1.23 gb of virtual, when I've allotted 512 to it.

Anyway, my point in even mentioning that it was a lightweight app is I think the majority of the slowdown is from photoshop and dreamweaver. Don't know that for a fact though.

Guess I should just bite the bullet and pay for the full 4 gb.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
yes i think so to

well i didnt know tht the op already had the mac version. i wudnt call it pirating anyways as he has paid for the program anyways.

if u can afford it then yes i think u shud go for the 6 gb.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Great, Crucial's out of stock on the 4gb 2x2 kit. :rolleyes: