worth it for higher res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denizg6, Jun 1, 2011.

1. denizg6 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Almost done picking out my macbook pro for college,

Now my last question to all people who paid 90 dollars extra for the higher resolution on there 15.4 inch mbp

Is it worth it?

What I will do is , watch hd movies , play games , produce music and do minor photoshop( very little)

Please advice...

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

that really depends on you. If you can go to an Apple store and take a look in person you'll be able to decide.

In about 5 minutes this thread will fill up with two groups of people. The first group will say the normal screen is good enough (thats me.) The second group will say the only way to enjoy an MBP is with a high resolution, antiglare screen.

I say it really depends on which you like better. Unless you are going to be outside a lot, then the antiglare screen is worth it, imho.

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Yes.

I am always surprised that people are willing to spend $200+ on an application they rarely use.

4. Chazn macrumors regular

Yes there will be a HUGE difference.

Firstly i ordered a 15" Macbook Pro standard resolution (1400x900). The quality when watching movies (even HD movies) really sucks. So therefore i refunded my standard resolution machine and bought the higher resolution (1650x1050) thinking it will provide me with a better experience.

AM i glad i opted for the high res. On the higher resolution, watching HD movies look better with more clarity than the standard resolution...especially during dark scenes in movies. (Scream 4, Harry Potter Deathly Hallows etc).

Conclusion: The standard resolution has insufficient pixels to fill a large 15" screen.

5. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Huge difference and I love my Anti-Glare, best decision of my life!

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As stated, everyone has their opinion. I went with the hi-res glossy. That probably puts me in the weirdest group because most seem to either stick with the standard screen or go with the hi-res matte.

I needed a higher resolution screen for my business. I had a 13" MBP and the resolution was so low (although fairly industry standard), that the spreadsheets I would look at, required me to do too much scrolling. I also had a heck of time comparing any coding I completed with the original side by side. For me there was no choice. If I was going to upgrade to a 15" to get a higher resolution screen, 1440x900 was not going to be enough.

Now I have several older friends with MBP who think my resolution is too high so everything is too small and love the standard resolution.

It really depends on what you do and your eye sight! Video / coding / image editing, the higher the resolution, the more real estate you have for Palettes / toolbars / etc. However, if you are going to do mostly internet surfing, writing papers, etc, it isn't worth it.