Worth it getting the new 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brenm666, Jun 22, 2011.

  1. brenm666 macrumors regular

    May 30, 2010
    Hi all,

    I'm just wondering if I should sell the 15" that I got last year (high end: 4GB ram, 2.66 i7, etc) to buy the high end right now.
    Is the difference between the first gen and 2nd gen i7 that big? and what about the video card? (GeForce GT 330M 512MB vs. Radeon 6750M 1GB)
    Is it worth it waiting for the next MBP, that should have the new case design?


    I'm NOT expecting for a clear answer. Just tell me what you think!
  2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a


    Feb 12, 2011
    Gallifrey, 5124
    The quad core is certainly a plus, especially if you use apps that are optimized for multi core. More VRAM on the graphics card is always good but i don't know anything else about that card.
  3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Jun 1, 2011
    the 330m is quite good but the dedicated amd gpu in the current high end model scores around 3,000 more on 3dmark06, and has double the vram (essentially). plus the extra processing power that was already mentioned.

    i think whether or not you should depends largely on the amount you can sell your 2010 model for.
  4. Ladybug macrumors 65816


    Apr 13, 2006
    Personally I think you should keep what you have, at least for now. Clearly your machine is no slouch, and there will always be newer and better. Does your system do all that you need it to do? Getting caught up in the I have to the latest just leads to unnecessary spending, there will always be something better. Wait until you need the upgrade... JMHO
  5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

    Queen of Spades

    May 9, 2008
    The Iron Throne
    Depends on what you use your MBP for. Unless you're into high-end design stuff or hardcore gaming, your current MBP is still great. I have the exact same model, except with 8GB RAM, and I did briefly consider selling and upgrading. The constant upgrading cycle is usually unnecessary and expensive. If you have money to burn, go for it, otherwise I'd say keep what you've got.

    Part of my choice was made easy because used MBPs just don't go for what they used to.
  6. tombubi macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2011
    I think your machine is still quite new and fast. There are always newer and better spec for you to pursuit. It is likely that there is going to be a redesign next year. Maybe changing it next year will be a better idea.
  7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 17, 2011
    I'd keep the MBP you have now and wait for a possible case redesign in 2012.

Share This Page