worth it? (octo)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoran, May 13, 2007.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Guys, ive been wanting to get a mac since the announcement of the Intel transition, a mac from the professional series that is. Ive been waiting for Adobes Universal apps, and now that they are out, i was glad. Not so fast though, cause all these rumors regarding redesigned MacPros bla bla bla in WWDC really put me into thoughts. As if this wasnt enough, the new octo came into the game, to really shake things up, and perhaps say "forget about new redesigned mac pro rumors, the octo is here to stay"!

Real questions now are:
    1. is it worth the money? What will i need it for? Well im a graphic designer using fully CS2 apps, DWeaver, Flash and surelly a DV editing app (i hope it will be PremierePro) but that only for my hobbie purposes.
    2. What do u really think about the octo for this use
    3 Let me ask, might it be a mac that will last easily up to the next 5-6years with its huge power?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

sure its worth it, im getting one soon as they put some penryn chips and get off this fully buffered ram crap. (I see it as the next ram bus, expensive and they stop production).

but you might just be as happy with a quad core, since it is just hobby work.

get an Apple Developer Account (ADC). it costs 500, you dont have to develop a thing (give it to your buddy rokem) and save you some cash. You get some discounts and a free copy of leopard if you don't all ready.

3. cube macrumors G5

RAMBUS is different because they were completely different chips and were used only by Intel.

FB-DIMM is used by many server vendors and it uses DDR2 and soon DDR3 chips. The system does not care whether the chips are DDR2, DDR3, or whatever.

But it's true that for me it would be overkill too, I'd rather see a minitower or tower using Kentsfield and cheaper, faster memory (although not that much).

4. Jouten macrumors newbie

Jouten

I'd just buy one now. You'll be sitting on the fence forever if you don't. I bought mine and have no regrets. I bought it despite the 'next big thing' just around the corner. I'm glad I didn't wait and am very pleased. It's funny tho, because I was just joking in another thread about Octo-Core processors heheh.:D

5. arcobb macrumors regular

Honestly, if your running CS3 a 24" iMac would more then suit your needs. The only main applications were I can see the Octo coming into it's own right now is in the Scientific communities were lots and lots of number crunching is going on to run models or maybe someone who is doing lots and lots of video editing and the extra cores and help render the video quicker (isn't the new FCP have some sort of distributed thing where it will farm some of the encoding work out to up to 5 computers on the network?) ... and the last area were I can see an advantages is some kind of server application ... but then you probably would be looking at an xserve anyway.

Anyway I don't see the Octo being utilized with Photoshop's glossian blur at the moment in a real meaningful way. Just the shift into Universal helps a ton not having to translate with Rosetta.

So I'd say if your in the market for a Mac Pro ... the standard 4 core variety would make you happy and tickle you pink unless you have a specific nitch that the octo could make an impact.

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

I guess ill just forget about this, cause im in Greece and things like that here are totally unknown-unfortunatelly!

--------------------------------------------------
    http://www.petitiononline.com/wwag/petition.html

7. cube macrumors G5

8. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Final Cut studio will use all 8 core of this monster :) and CS3 uses at least 2. Supreme commander An awesome RTS will use 4 of the cores at least. Also If you do go octo you'll want 8 gigs of ram or more. else you'll be just shooting yourself in the foot.

9. cube macrumors G5

It's not only how many cores an application will use, but also how much RAM access it does, as the memory bandwidth of the octo is not great.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Where did u get this info from?

Why do u say that? I thought 2gigs will be decent! :)

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

For those applications I don't think you'd be making much use of 8 cores. I use the Creative Suit all the time and have been dabbling in FCE recently and none of them ever max out the CPUs. Take the money you'd save and get boatloads of RAM. I wish I could afford to get more myself right now.

12. winchest macrumors regular

There were some good deals for tricked out Quad 3.0 Ghzs on here in the marketplace that might be better worth your money than the octo.

13. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Why not go with FinalCut Express?

14. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Can I ask why this is in the MB and MBP section? Unless Apple have released an octo core MBP, I see no reason why this thread should be here.

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

definatelly my mistake sorry can it be transfered?

16. yagran macrumors 6502a

as a general rule youll always need 1gb per core, jus means you wont be stumping the performance of the cpu.

also this post is in the wrong section of the forum.